Re: Firewall exceptions

From: GTS (x)
Date: 07/22/05

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:47:20 -0400

Saving a router config is generally treated like a straightforward file
download, and it would be very unusual for there to be a firewall issue.
I've done this with many different routers, and have never had to adjust a
firewall.
What happens after your click save? Any error message? Do you run any
other security software (like spyware, spam blockers, and the like). If
you suspect the firewall, you could unplug the wan connection to the router,
temporarily disable the firewall, and try it safely that way. If this
doesn't help, you should probably check with the support source for the
router.

--
"Gary D. 2" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> I have a new XP Home installation, on a home PC, appropriately.
>
> I connect via broadband using a Draytek Vigor2600 ADSL router.
> One of the options offered by this router is a web page based
> interface that has an option to backup the router configuration to
> disk (i.e. save a .cfg file to disk).
>
> However, even after I specify the file name and press Save, the file
> doesn't get written to disk (hard of floppy). I am assuming that this
> is because the XP Firewall is somehow blocking this.
> I cannot specify a program exception because the file is saved via the
> browser's pop-up Save dialog box.
>
> Can anyone advise me on how I can achieve this task?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... not visiting dodgy Websites. ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... how long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc so it ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... having the protection of a router, not opening dodgy emails, and not ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by your router ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)