Re: Can't Log On in Safe Mode

From: Jon I Hiler (Jon.I.Hiler.1sezpr_at_pcbanter.net)
Date: 07/19/05

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:23:22 +0000

Mel Wrote:
> HELP! We are running Windows XP Professional.
> Thinking a PC in our office was infected with the W32 Klez
> virus, I followed the Symantec steps for removal. One step
> was to go to MSCONFIG, select SAFE to reboot the computer
> in Safe Mode. Now there is no way to log on at all!
> Administrator (with no password) is not working, nor is
> the network user name - I've tried so many combinations,
> with caps, without, etc. I've tried the F8 method to
> reboot in normal mode, and the "last known good
> configuration", all to no avail. The user is the second
> person to use this computer and I'm thinking that during
> the original install the local user name and password were
> set with no notes made as to what they were. Is there a
> way to circumvent the security log on screen? I just need
> to change the MSCONFIG back to normal mode and then she'll
> be able to log onto the network and everything will be
> hunkydory.
> Any help at all would be much appreciated!
> Thanks,
> Mel

DITTO!
..all except the F8 thing - I was working on an IBM thinkpad 2002 or
2003 model, running XP Pro and had a trojan virus in the System32
directory - no problem ( I thought) I was going to boot in safe mode
and nuke it and then go after the reg. keys, but to my shock (and
embarrassment) I was unable to get past the login by any means and
could not boot from a disk. I eventually gave up and did the restore
to factory settings thing, and now I'm plaged by the IBM configuration
options upon startup and the vertical scrolling is jerky and
annoying(was smooth as butter before)

any idea why this safemode login issue? any bruteforce way around it?

--
Jon I Hiler

Relevant Pages

  • Need Help please
    ... I'm running Windows XP and am having several problems ... I cannot enter Safe Mode on Startup ... I cannot run a virus scan, it always has an error or ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Problem with Control+Alt+Del
    ... when i enter in safe mode it ... >>> By the way i'm running windows xp home edition with the service ... The best way to find out if your computer has a virus is by doing a scan ... a current version, not earlier than 2004, and your virus definitions ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: stuck in safe mode
    ... > I am running windows xp. ... I was told I have the svchost.exe virus. ... > told to go into safe mode and change registry info. ... > mode.Now the computer is stuck and will not exit safe mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: PL HELP!!!my system is infected with winavxxx and many more spywar
    ... You were given magnificent advice by 'Kayman' - it may all be absolutely correct. ... the web searching for a medicine properties and I guess it was when the virus ... detect the Trojan nor it avoided its entrance. ... When I started in Safe Mode, I was not able to see the Control Panel icon ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: Bloodhound.exploit.6 Trojan
    ... It is not clear to me that you have removed this virus. ... What does it mean when it said in Regedit Default REG_SZ no value set ... Each and every key in the registry has a single default ... How can I get my computer to go into safe mode? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)