Re: "My Documents" folder set to READ-ONLY at first logon!?

From: Colin Nash [MVP] (x_at_x)
Date: 07/15/05

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:12:36 -0400

"Roel" <Roel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:51BF630F-8119-4A16-BFA3-DF9FAAAC94C7@microsoft.com...
> Never mind, I think I've found a solution on page
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=256614
>
> Apparently XP ABUSES THE READ-ONLY ATTRIBUTE to mark a folder as
> "Customized"!!?
> Not a very elegant solution, IMHO. It seems someone at MS just decided one
> day "Oh well, that read-only attribute? Nobody uses that anyway, so let's
> just say that from now one 'read-only' actually means 'customized'". |-{

It doesn't (or shouldn't) prevent you from adding files to the folder
though...

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Changed user account
    ... "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote: ... the hassle and time of restoring all the settings, minor files, etc. Do you ... Settings the administrator folder, the all users folder, downloads, owner, ...
  • Re: Unable to install accessories
    ... A lot easier for you is going to be running setup from that i386 folder. ... "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote: ... you could point the 'source path' to this folder. ... The message I got was that "files that are required for Windows to> run ...
  • Re: Removing Hidden status?
    ... no check mark, black check mark and gray check mark. ... thumbnail for the folder. ... To manually customize the folder picture that the Thumbnails view uses, ... Locate the folder that you want to customize, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Changed user account
    ... "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote: ... I could not access my documents and the settings for internet ... Settings the administrator folder, the all users folder, downloads, owner, ...
  • Re: Creating a filter for a Yahoogroup
    ... the deleted items folder the folder is then bolded to indicate unread emails. ... Outlook doesn't have the capability to mark junk mail as read automatically. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)