Re: Missing information

From: Wesley Vogel (123WVogel955_at_comcast.net)
Date: 07/14/05

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:22:55 -0600

Poor advice.

*DO NOT* use the Userpasswords2 applet to add or modify users in Windows XP
Home Edition. This tool is reserved for Windows XP Professional Edition.

XP Home users should use control userpasswords *NOT* control userpasswords2.

Windows XP Home Edition errors when using 'Control Userpasswords2' to add a
user
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6400/rh6488.htm

13. Advanced User Management in Windows XP Home
http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/usermgt.html#USERPASSWORDS2

Using control userpasswords2 with XP Home can cause severe problems.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/Q279783

--
Hope this helps.  Let us know.
Wes
> You will be able to access user accounts if you type this into the "Run"
> box:
>
> "control userpasswords2" (without quotes of course).
>
> Then, click on "Add..." button and add one more user account.
> Reboot your system.
> Then see what happens when you try to access User Accounts in CP.
>
> Even better, I found a link in Microsoft Support that explains all
> about it and I think it should work for you:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cebxb
>
> Let me know if you solve this problem.
>

> --
> Madboy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: removing user accounts on XP Home
    ... The Power Users group doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home Edition. ... control userpasswords2 Brings up User Accounts, the one you would get from ... Creation of user in the 'Power Users' group with 'Control Userpasswords2' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: removing user accounts on XP Home
    ... The Power Users group doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home Edition. ... control userpasswords2 Brings up User Accounts, the one you would get from ... Creation of user in the 'Power Users' group with 'Control Userpasswords2' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: *hidden* new user account/error (control userpasswords2)
    ... It is reserved for WINDOWS XP Professional ... The reason for this is that userpasswords2 allows the user to ... [[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. ... The only thing you should use control userpasswords2 for with XP Home is to ...
  • Re: Power User
    ... The Power Users group doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home Edition. ... > No. Local Users and Groups will popup an error in XP Home. ... > control userpasswords2 Brings up User Accounts, the one you would get from ...
  • Re: removing user accounts on XP Home
    ... The Power Users group doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home Edition. ... control userpasswords2 Brings up User Accounts, ... Creation of user in the 'Power Users' group with 'Control Userpasswords2' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)