Re: Accessing documents under old user accounts

From: Jupiter Jones [MVP] (jones_jupiter_at_hotnomail.com)
Date: 07/13/05

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:18:37 -0600

Take Ownership, #9 on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org
"pking" <pking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:55712C00-F4C9-4C60-AD9A-611795AF7B23@microsoft.com...
> Recently my computer was infected by a worm that ate up my system
> resources.
> I was not able to restore the system back to a previous state, nor was I
> able
> to back-up my documents, so I was forced to reinstall Windows XP
> Professional
> version 2002 and all of my other applications.  A new Active Directory was
> created, giving me new user accounts, even though I used the same user
> names
> that had been created under the old installation.  Under one of the old
> user
> accounts, I had a folder that was password protected, and it contained
> several important documents.  Since the new Active Directory does not
> recognize that old user folder, I can not gain access to the folder to
> retrieve the files, even when logged on as the administrator.  I get an
> error
> message that reads:
> "C:\Documents and Settings\P\My Documents\P is not accessible.  Access is
> denied."
>
> Is there any way to unlock that folder so that I can access my documents?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: User gets married, changes name & wants log-in changed
    ... Changed the user's name in AD (Active Directory) just fine. ... their "profile home" folder on the AD server without incident. ... You can just rename the folder for the user. ... knows you by your sid ...
  • Re: Table of Contents says "this file could not be found"
    ... the active directory is not necessarily the directory where the document containing the rd is located. ... For example, if you use Insert->Object->Text from file, and navigate to a different folder to insert a chunk of text, the active directory will no longer be the one that contains your document, and if for example you then try to update a TOC, it will fail in much the way you describe. ... Alternatively, if you can live with absolute references, you need the full pathname with backslashes doubled up, e.g. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Table of Contents says "this file could not be found"
    ... indeed copied text from other files, but from the same folder. ... the active directory is not necessarily the directory where the ... Alternatively, if you can live with absolute references, you need the ... All documents and TOC doc are in the same folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Table of Contents says "this file could not be found"
    ... {rd "some headings for a toc.doc"} ... the active directory is not necessarily the directory where the document containing the rd is located. ... For example, if you use Insert->Object->Text from file, and navigate to a different folder to insert a chunk of text, the active directory will no longer be the one that contains your document, and if for example you then try to update a TOC, it will fail in much the way you describe. ... Alternatively, if you can live with absolute references, you need the full pathname with backslashes doubled up, e.g. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Problem that has never been resolved, Mapped home directory
    ... I am using 2003 R2 Server with Active Directory. ... When I do this each day I have students and staff that are unable to access ... their home directory because it maps to the root of the student folder ...