Accessing documents under old user accounts

From: pking (pking_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/13/05

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:02:01 -0700

Recently my computer was infected by a worm that ate up my system resources.
I was not able to restore the system back to a previous state, nor was I able
to back-up my documents, so I was forced to reinstall Windows XP Professional
version 2002 and all of my other applications. A new Active Directory was
created, giving me new user accounts, even though I used the same user names
that had been created under the old installation. Under one of the old user
accounts, I had a folder that was password protected, and it contained
several important documents. Since the new Active Directory does not
recognize that old user folder, I can not gain access to the folder to
retrieve the files, even when logged on as the administrator. I get an error
message that reads:
“C:\Documents and Settings\P\My Documents\P is not accessible. Access is
denied.”

Is there any way to unlock that folder so that I can access my documents?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Accessing documents under old user accounts
    ... > Recently my computer was infected by a worm that ate up my system ... > created, giving me new user accounts, even though I used the same user ... > accounts, I had a folder that was password protected, and it contained ... Since the new Active Directory does not ...
  • Re: System slowdowns
    ... Each of these is handled by Finder ... and takes system resources to redraw (even though they may be covered up by ... Many people have found that putting all these files in a folder or anywhere ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • outlook error message
    ... unable to display the folder. ... out of memory or system resources. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Explorer and Video Media
    ... >I've noticed that if I've got a folder (I'm using XP Pro) ... >that has a large volume of video media in it, ... >Explorer.exe is using near 100% system resources. ...
  • Re: User gets married, changes name & wants log-in changed
    ... Changed the user's name in AD (Active Directory) just fine. ... their "profile home" folder on the AD server without incident. ... You can just rename the folder for the user. ... knows you by your sid ...