Re: scvhost.exe

From: Jupiter Jones [MVP] (jones_jupiter_at_hotnomail.com)
Date: 07/13/05

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:16:46 -0600

Thank you for the correction David.
Your more correct information may be helpful to the OP especially if the
spelling used by the OP meant the usually normal version.

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message news:%>
Jupiter:

> The statemnt "svchost.exe is good and normal" is only partially true.
>
> The fact is there are *many* forms of malware that use that name.  When
> one sees SVCHOST.EXE
> on a Win9x/ME PC it is guaranteed to be malware.  If SVCHOST.EXE is found
> on a NT based OS
> in other than
> %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (and the usual OS CACHE/ServicePack folders)
> it is most likley
> an infector.
>
> For example, if SVCHOST.EXE is found in %windir%, it could be
> 'W32/Opanki.worm'-
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_133397.htm
>
> Or if SVCHOST.EXE is found in c:\, it could be 'W32/CodeBlue.worm' -
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99202.htm
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows ME
    ... If you still have problems, you may have spyware, virus or other malware, ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: why cant i view images on certain websites?
    ... you almost certainly have some sort of malware. ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ...
  • Re: IE HOME PAGE CHANGED !!
    ... Otherwise you may have malware. ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ... "Feliz" wrote in message ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SP2 XP Home
    ... Then verify you have no spyware or other malware. ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ... "Steve" wrote in message ...
  • Re: XP - Running Slow
    ... I strongly recommend your staying far away ... The most common cause of a slow computer these days is malware ... Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)