Re: scvhost.exe

From: Jupiter Jones [MVP] (
Date: 07/13/05

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:16:46 -0600

Thank you for the correction David.
Your more correct information may be helpful to the OP especially if the
spelling used by the OP meant the usually normal version.

Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message news:%>
> The statemnt "svchost.exe is good and normal" is only partially true.
> The fact is there are *many* forms of malware that use that name.  When
> one sees SVCHOST.EXE
> on a Win9x/ME PC it is guaranteed to be malware.  If SVCHOST.EXE is found
> on a NT based OS
> in other than
> %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (and the usual OS CACHE/ServicePack folders)
> it is most likley
> an infector.
> For example, if SVCHOST.EXE is found in %windir%, it could be
> 'W32/Opanki.worm'-
> Or if SVCHOST.EXE is found in c:\, it could be 'W32/CodeBlue.worm' -
> --
> Dave

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows ME
    ... If you still have problems, you may have spyware, virus or other malware, ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ...
  • Re: why cant i view images on certain websites?
    ... you almost certainly have some sort of malware. ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ...
    ... Otherwise you may have malware. ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ... "Feliz" wrote in message ...
  • Re: SP2 XP Home
    ... Then verify you have no spyware or other malware. ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ... "Steve" wrote in message ...
  • Re: XP - Running Slow
    ... I strongly recommend your staying far away ... The most common cause of a slow computer these days is malware ... Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience ...