Re: Remote Desktop risks through VPN

From: Doug Knox MS-MVP (dknox_at_mvps.org)
Date: 07/12/05

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:03:26 -0400

The risks are actually pretty minimal. The RDP protocol is encrypted, on top of your VPN connection. The worst that could happen is that users can map their local drives to the RD host. If they had a viral or other type of malware infection, it could possibly be spread that way, but since they're already VPN'd in, and probably have access to LAN resources, its really a non-issue.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"The Frustrated Monk" <TheFrustratedMonk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E946A74-3E06-4C86-9680-F5056760D782@microsoft.com...
> At the moment we do not allow users to connect to their desktops via RDP when
> they connect to the company network via VPN.
>
> What risks are involved with allowing them? I know that the desktop admins
> could snoop but what other risks are there?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: More than Two Tuners in Vista MCE
    ... Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes ... Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Nero Patch
    ... > suggests that I can record something like 8.5 gb on a DVD? ... > Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Roolup2 This upgrade can only be run on windows xp media centre edition 2005
    ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... > Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Forgot my password...
    ... Doug Knox MS-MVP Wrote: ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart ... > Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
  • Re: Tweak UI - Password encryption and autologon
    ... >> Could it be you've set the registry password some other way? ... >>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...