cannot manage

From: Gene Plantz (dont_send_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/05/05

Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:21:19 -0500

We have a Windows 2000 SP4 Active Directory server (Dell Poweredge 2600).

Beginning a few months ago, we started to find a few computers in our
domain that exhibited this error message when we tried to "manage" them
from the server:

"Computer \\ABCD cannot be managed because it is not running Windows NT.
  Would you like to manage it anyway?"

These are all Windows XP Pro SP2 with latest hotfixes. Initially, I had
4 of these computers (out of 80) showing this. I now have 11.

And... sometimes, they will "fix" themselves and not have this error or
waffle back to this state again after a few days.

Our Windows Patching software (UpdateExpert) also is indicating "OS NOT
SUPPORTED" for these computers when they really do have XP. Users are
working with these computers everyday and can do their normal
applications without any issues.

Searching for this problem has only indicated it has happened to others
before but no indication of how to solve the problem.

Anybody out here know an answer????

Gene

Relevant Pages

  • Re: error message referenced memory XXX 000.. talked to my hardwar
    ... me off - and that's reasonable as he has computers to do. ... Start process: string idiom as follows: REFERENCED MEMORY COULD NOT BE ... exact quote of the error message. ... Do a thorough check for malware following all of the steps at one of these ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WindowsUpdate_80070020 WindowsUpdate_dt000
    ... another process" error message when you try to download an update from Windows Update or ... Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server 2003, ... |> Robert Aldwinckle ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • XP Logon nightmare
    ... I am having the exact same error message. ... Logon failure: user account restriction. ... Not only are the other four computers are still able to access the ...
  • Re: inserting .wmv video problems
    ... Section three covers the MCI settings. ... When trying to insert this movie from file I get an error message about non ... Time installed since it is a Windows Media file. ... > This process works on other computers one with Windows 2000 and one with ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Application Error
    ... If I end the program from the task manager before I shutdown, ... Your error message that you stated was 'sw: ... down my computers, same error on both my computers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)