Windows Update failure: NET START wuauserv -- Access is denied.

From: M. Jennings (futurepower_at_-NOTthis-or-dashes-myrealbox.com)
Date: 07/04/05

Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:16:18 -0700

I have yet another computer in which Windows Update is failing. This time it
give an error message I haven't seen before:

CONFIGURATION: Stand-Alone Windows XP SP2, all patches applied. Windows Update
worked well last patch Tuesday, in June. All tests run as administrator.

1) When running the command:
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
as an administrator, I get the message:
DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80070005

2) When running the commands as an administrator:
net stop wuauserv
or
net start wuauserv
I get the message:
System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.

3) Reloading Windows XP made no difference.

4) A variety of possible fixes are suggested. None of them worked. The key
issue seems to be that access is denied to the wuauserv service.

5) The suggested fixes in this article did not work:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836926

6) When running Gpedit.msc and expanding the following items in the Local
Computer Policy list:
Computer Configuration/ Windows Settings/ Security Settings/

and left-clicking on "Local Policies", I get the error message:

"The Group Policy security settings that apply to this machine could not be
determined.

"The error returned when trying to retreive these settings from the local
security policy database (%windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb) was: The
parameter is incorrect.

"All local security settings will be displayed, but no indication will be
given as to whether or not a given security setting is defined by Group Policy.

"Any local security setting modified through this User Interface may
subsequently be overriden by domain-level policies."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows cannot open template file
    ... What sections are actually missing? ... The new Windows Group Policy Guide from Microsoft Press!!! ... > Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Windows Defender Updates Failing
    ... 50198 declared some kind of an error and said it didn't complete correctly, so I haven't a clue if my security settings were reset. ... As far as any problems related to my security settings, I'm only running Win Defender and Spyware doctor, but I turned the latter off right before attempting to install the last Win Defender Update and the update failed again so Spyware Doctor doesn't seem to be the issue, unless it has some hidden firewall that I don't know about. ... How about trying to install Win Defender WU's with my Windows Firewall turned off. ... Then I tried some brute force and attempted to install Win Defender definitions from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Services controlled by Group Policy
    ... This is the behavior of Windows XP. ... The security settings window contains ... |> need to open the GPO in MMC on the Windows XP machine. ... |> | Subject: Re: Services controlled by Group Policy ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Security Alert --> Cannot Download Anything
    ... I am running Windows XP, SP2, and I'm not running McCafee, just Norton, ... > Disable the McAfee ActiveX controls Applet filters in the Internet Filter ... > "Your current security settings prohibit running Active X controls on this ... >> Whenever I try to download any type of file, from any site, the prompt box ...
  • Re: Failure audits generated by MS firewall
    ... Windows XP and Server security settings. ... >> d) In the right pane, disable the failure audits. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)