New OS - canít get files in old EFS-encrypted directory

From: Caobhin (UseLinkToEmail_at_WindowsForumz.com)
Date: 07/03/05

Date: 3 Jul 2005 15:37:01 -0400

About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. Iíve purchased a new
drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some
encrypted files.

I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd ídataí hard drive that
were encrypted w/ the old OSíx WinXP EFS. I have *.cer and *.pfx files
that I exported from the old OS, before it died. I imported/added
these keys and certificates to the new OS. I even tried to re-create
the old user account on my new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not
allow me to read or decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted
directories.

Anyone have suggestions?

-Kevin

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-OS-files-EFS-encrypted-directory-ftopict552756.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd).  Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1752795

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Converting NTFS to Fat 32 using Partition Magic 7
    ... I understand Winxp pro has its ... >own application for doing this but I am used to working with Partition ... encrypted files; no compressed files or folders (such as the hidden ... Make sure of your backup first in case the thing fouls up mid way ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Windows XP Pro amd NTFS encryption
    ... Use it following directions in Help and Support. ... > I had WinXP Pro, with NTFS partitions, there were some ... > encrypted files, i copyed them to another NTFS partition, ...
  • I need help with encrypted files
    ... winXP pro, but i cant access any of my encrypted files on my secondary hard ...
  • Re: New OS - canít get files in old EFS-encrypted directory
    ... Caobhin wrote: ... installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some ... > encrypted files. ... HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP ...
  • Access Denied on NTFS
    ... I have full Admin settings on my user account and I upgraded my FAT32 hard ... drive to NTFS on WinXp pro. ...