New OS - canít get files in old EFS-encrypted directory

From: Caobhin (UseLinkToEmail_at_WindowsForumz.com)
Date: 07/03/05

Date: 3 Jul 2005 15:37:01 -0400

About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. Iíve purchased a new
drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some
encrypted files.

I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd ídataí hard drive that
were encrypted w/ the old OSíx WinXP EFS. I have *.cer and *.pfx files
that I exported from the old OS, before it died. I imported/added
these keys and certificates to the new OS. I even tried to re-create
the old user account on my new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not
allow me to read or decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted
directories.

Anyone have suggestions?

-Kevin

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-OS-files-EFS-encrypted-directory-ftopict552756.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd).  Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1752795

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Converting NTFS to Fat 32 using Partition Magic 7
    ... I understand Winxp pro has its ... >own application for doing this but I am used to working with Partition ... encrypted files; no compressed files or folders (such as the hidden ... Make sure of your backup first in case the thing fouls up mid way ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Windows XP Pro amd NTFS encryption
    ... Use it following directions in Help and Support. ... > I had WinXP Pro, with NTFS partitions, there were some ... > encrypted files, i copyed them to another NTFS partition, ...
  • I need help with encrypted files
    ... winXP pro, but i cant access any of my encrypted files on my secondary hard ...
  • Re: New OS - can‚Äôt get files in old EFS-encrypted directory
    ... Caobhin wrote: ... installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some ... > encrypted files. ... HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP ...
  • Re: XP Pro to Win2K ok but Win2K to XP, *not* ok
    ... Make sure on every machine is the same user account and password and they are both in the same workgroup. ... Other WinXP Pro boxes can connect and transfer files to the WinXP Pro. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)