Re: How to prevent skype's violation-Skype bypasses Firewall

From: Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\) (Torgeir.Bakken-spam_at_hydro.com)
Date: 06/20/05

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:23:16 +0200

Jim Clark wrote:

>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> The skype messenger is violating the XP security/Firewall. Even
>>> after removing from the exception list, skype automatically
>>> launches by adding itself to the exception list.
>>
>> So - ask the Skype people, not the OS people.
>>

> Shouldn't the OS catch the Apps trying to breach. I mean Skype
> or any others. The OS should be take the responsibility to stop
> the intruders.
>
> The XP's SP2 never caught.
Hi,

Actually, this is by design. Microsoft decided that an application
that already was running on your computer was allowed to add itself
to the FW exception list without the FW warning you about it. But
Microsoft recommends that the developer adds code that asks the user
for permission before doing it.

See this article by Christian Huitema [MSFT] for more on the reasoning
behind this decision:

The Windows XP/SP2 Firewall
http://www.huitema.net/sp2-firewall.asp

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: