Re: How to prevent skype's violation-Skype bypasses Firewall

From: Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\) (Torgeir.Bakken-spam_at_hydro.com)
Date: 06/20/05

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:23:16 +0200

Jim Clark wrote:

>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> The skype messenger is violating the XP security/Firewall. Even
>>> after removing from the exception list, skype automatically
>>> launches by adding itself to the exception list.
>>
>> So - ask the Skype people, not the OS people.
>>

> Shouldn't the OS catch the Apps trying to breach. I mean Skype
> or any others. The OS should be take the responsibility to stop
> the intruders.
>
> The XP's SP2 never caught.
Hi,

Actually, this is by design. Microsoft decided that an application
that already was running on your computer was allowed to add itself
to the FW exception list without the FW warning you about it. But
Microsoft recommends that the developer adds code that asks the user
for permission before doing it.

See this article by Christian Huitema [MSFT] for more on the reasoning
behind this decision:

The Windows XP/SP2 Firewall
http://www.huitema.net/sp2-firewall.asp

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

  • Re: Skype Messenger is Bypassing Windows Firewall-Firewall doesnt
    ... Even those are installed with the same admin privilege but caught by Windows firewall while trying to run. ... I guess this is a Security hole in XP or a Violation in Skype. ... But Microsoft recommends that the developer adds code ... torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?
    ... The fact Microsoft did buy Skype, ... protocol is a closed protocol. ... They can't make a secured OS, their servers are nothing ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • MSNTV is still viable, so...
    ... with acquisitions than its own products ... Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, left, shakes hands with Skype CEO Tony ... operating systems and business software. ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Think your Skype messages get end-to-end encryption? Think again
    ... Think your Skype messages get end-to-end encryption? ... Ars catches Microsoft accessing links we sent in our test ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: java script issue
    ... You already have the answer to your question "enable Javascript" on your PC. ... should see radio buttons marked as Scripting-Active Scripting and the enable ... 'Enable Java Script'. ... legal dispute directed at Microsoft. ...