Re: recovering data for user with password

From: Shenan Stanley (newshelper_at_gmail.com)
Date: 06/13/05

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:59:34 -0500

corbel wrote:
> Having corrupted or deleted some vital windows /registry files whilst
> eliminating a virus, I ended up with no desktop/icons on reboot.
> Decided needed to reload windows XP as it wouldn't repair from disk.
> To safeguard data we renamed the documents directory (and sub-dir)
> using dos type commands at the command prompt on repair console. We
> also renamed the windows directory and all sub directories. Then
> reinstalled windows and all the relevant applications. Using the
> documents and settings wizard we tried to recover the data, but all
> the files under one user with password protection on the user would
> not transfer.
> How can I proceed to recover the data?

You are getting "Access Denied" aren't you?
Would be nice if you just gave the error message (or included it in all
that. heh)

As long as EFS is not involved:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

  • RE: FW: FW: [SLE] Urgent! Need help!
    ... it takes over an hour for Linux to build the ... Easier to just make a copy of the file I didn't want to recover ... >>partition scheme and the mount points. ... Seemed like a simple enough change -- move the Windows boundary up, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: I think my hardrive has died, seeking a second opinion
    ... Drive Savers, but they said it would cost $1000 to recover the data. ... Windows 98, Windows XP, whatever - is going to work. ... in with the SATA drivers during the XP install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Continuous Re-Boot STOP 0x000000C2: BAD POOL CALLER
    ... You can either stay with the Windows2 setup, or if you have recovered all your files to CD or portable media, you may consider removing the Windows setups, & use the CD to do a fresh setup. ... MS-MVP Windows, Aumha.net VSOP, DTS-L ... "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote: ... So, if possible, I'd like to recover in some way. ...
  • Re: Bootup takes 25 mins
    ... At least I can get my data while in Safe Mode. ... I was "lucky" that I only had to pay $900 to recover the data. ... Windows Vista inform me that I'm only operating with one HD instead of two? ... "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote: ...
  • Re: Recover Data
    ... Windows but says something about application trying to access hard disk. ... software has worked with other hard drives I have with partitions that were ... try to recover the partition information. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)