Re: Ad-aware and spyware question ...

From: Malke (invalid_at_not-real.com)
Date: 06/11/05

Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:22:25 -0700

Kerry Brown wrote:

> "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Greetings -- I realize there are antivirus and spyware groups, but
>> I often see people in this group recommending the typical ad-aware,
>> spybot and an antivirus solution. I use ad-aware often, and in
>> looking at their site this morning, I found a statement that raised a
>> flag in my mind. I have been sort of working on the assumption that
>> when you run it, it scans the whole machine (unless told otherwise),
>> however, on their "plus" version, they have the comment that it
>>
>> [begin "improved features" quote]
>> -- Now scans registry branches of multiple user accounts
>> -- Scan registry for all users instead of current user only
>> [end quote]
>>
>> The obvious (well to me anyway) implication is that without their
>> "plus" version, you have to run it logged on as each user on your
>> machine to make sure you get stuff. Is this just my way of reading
>> their information, or have I been wandering along assuming that
>> it was checking things when in reality it was only looking at my
>> stuff ??
>>
>> mikey
>>

> Computers with several user accounts can be very hard and tedious to
> clean. You have to logon in safe mode as each user (including
> administrator) in turn and scan with several antispyware and antivirus
> applications. Then do it all again in normal mode. Sometimes you have
> to repeat this process several times. Even that doesn't always work.
> Sometimes when you logon as one user the other users will be
> re-infected. When that happens you have to resort to manual registry
> edits for each user and hunting down and killing the offending program
> with BartPe or a Linux boot CD. No one said it was easy :-)
>
> Kerry

Thanks for expanding on this, Kerry. The only thing I'd mention is that
you usually don't have to log onto different accounts for the antivirus
scans.

Malke

--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Keyboard is not responsive
    ... > with no program name therefore not being able to logon. ... Kerry ... >>> work on the keyboard, not even the numlock or caps lock. ... >> Enter the Admin password to get to the command prompt. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Keyboard is not responsive
    ... all of windows and you will more than likely lose all your data. ... I have a feeling that the entry in the registry is hosed up and this is what ... "Kerry Brown" wrote: ... >> with no program name therefore not being able to logon. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Ad-aware and spyware question ...
    ... > Kerry Brown wrote: ... >> Computers with several user accounts can be very hard and tedious to ... >> administrator) in turn and scan with several antispyware and antivirus ...
  • Re: Microsoft Office Problem
    ... Bluebird wrote: ... Kerry -- Thank You! ... firewall and antivirus will do nothing to stop a buffer overflow ... unless it is a known signature to the antivirus. ...
  • Re: Windows XP Home w/ SP2
    ... > Thanks, Kerry. ... > firewall or any other one. ... You should also scan for spyware in safe mode. ... fighting spyware here: ...