Re: Ad-aware and spyware question ...

From: Kerry Brown (kerry_at_kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m)
Date: 06/11/05

    Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 08:56:42 -0700

    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:eqUJAWpbFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Greetings -- I realize there are antivirus and spyware groups, but
    > I often see people in this group recommending the typical ad-aware,
    > spybot and an antivirus solution. I use ad-aware often, and in
    > looking at their site this morning, I found a statement that raised a
    > flag in my mind. I have been sort of working on the assumption that
    > when you run it, it scans the whole machine (unless told otherwise),
    > however, on their "plus" version, they have the comment that it
    >
    > [begin "improved features" quote]
    > -- Now scans registry branches of multiple user accounts
    > -- Scan registry for all users instead of current user only
    > [end quote]
    >
    > The obvious (well to me anyway) implication is that without their
    > "plus" version, you have to run it logged on as each user on your
    > machine to make sure you get stuff. Is this just my way of reading
    > their information, or have I been wandering along assuming that
    > it was checking things when in reality it was only looking at my
    > stuff ??
    >
    > mikey

    Computers with several user accounts can be very hard and tedious to clean.
    You have to logon in safe mode as each user (including administrator) in
    turn and scan with several antispyware and antivirus applications. Then do
    it all again in normal mode. Sometimes you have to repeat this process
    several times. Even that doesn't always work. Sometimes when you logon as
    one user the other users will be re-infected. When that happens you have to
    resort to manual registry edits for each user and hunting down and killing
    the offending program with BartPe or a Linux boot CD. No one said it was
    easy :-)

    Kerry

    • Ad-aware and spyware question ...
      ... Greetings -- I realize there are antivirus and spyware groups, ... I often see people in this group recommending the typical ad-aware, ... spybot and an antivirus solution. ... -- Now scans registry branches of multiple user accounts ...
    • Re: Ad-aware and spyware question ...
      ... > I often see people in this group recommending the typical ad-aware, ... > spybot and an antivirus solution. ... you need to go into every account. ...