Re: AVG vs AVAST

From: Jeff (jeff_at_phony.com)
Date: 06/08/05

Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:05:02 -0400

Thanks for the url that compares the AVs.

Can one assume the free versions have the same effectiveness as the paid
versions?

--
Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
Galen wrote:
> In news:e1Zi5P5aFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Jeff <jeff@phony.com> had this to say:

>> I've used the free version of AVG for years.  Nowadays AVAST seems to
>> have become the favorite AV.  Is it worth switching to AVAST or is
>> the protection essentially equivalent to that afforded by AVG?
>>
>> Can they be used together?
>
> Which is best for you? Check here:
>
> http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2005_02.php
>
> Together? Yes and no. You probably CAN but I'd not recommend it. Too
> many chances for conflicts or false positives or even files being in
> use and locked and not getting scanned accurately. The resource usage
> isn't justified. What you can do is have one as a backup but have it
> disabled from running in real-time mode or starting on boot. Then
> when ever you have doubts you can scan with the alternate program
> after updating it. However, if you can't trust your AV what can you
> trust?
> My recommended solution? No I make no money from my recommendations
> but if you can afford it buy KAV and be done with the worries.
>
> Galen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AVG vs AVAST
    ... It used up so much resources it slowed my ... You probably CAN but I'd not recommend it. ... if you can't trust your AV what can you ... > but if you can afford it buy KAV and be done with the worries. ...
  • Re: AVG vs AVAST
    ... Is it worth switching to AVAST or is ... You probably CAN but I'd not recommend it. ... if you can't trust your AV what can you trust? ... you can afford it buy KAV and be done with the worries. ...