Re: XP Workgroup and domain. Part1

From: JP Breton (jpbreton_at_videotron.ca)
Date: 06/02/05

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:55:55 -0400

> 1. How can you tell if I am joined to a domain or not ? By looking at net
> config output.. Afterall SOMETHING could be a workgroup or a real domain
> name

When you are in a workgroup, the Logon Domain will be exactly like your
Computer name (because it is only your computer that does the
authentification process)

> 2. Is there a utility which tells me if I'm joined to a real domain and
> what its domain controller is ?
You will know when you are not in a workgroup. (right click My Computer,
Propreties, Computer name, you should see Workgroup just below the Full
computer name. If you were in a domain, it would say Domain.

> 3. Are there any restrictions about naming machines/workgroups and real
> domains ? (I'm always going to say real domain - reduces unnecessary
> cycles
> in my head)
Yes they are but I won't cover this part right now. Just remember that any
computer name or domain name has to be unique.

> 4. Computer name must be unique on a network -does that mean unique among
> computer names or does that include domain name/workgroup name ?
> Thanks
Computer name are different then workgroup and domain name. But a computer
name could be the same as a workgroup name for example. (althout not
recommanded)