Re: Are hidden shares safe from discovery

From: Kerry Brown (kerry_at_kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m)
Date: 05/31/05

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:50:15 -0700

"d28" <kevindu28@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1117549805.211054.171600@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm looking at methods to secure my wireless network in addition to
> encryption used by the router and adaptors. Which would be to hide the
> folders being shared across my internal LAN. When the shares are
> hidden, is there any way for them to be discovered if by change someone
> was able to get through and connect to my router? My PCs are installed
> with WindowsXP SP1 and SP2.

Anyone with administrator permissions can see the shares. You have to use
strong passwords on all accounts or someone could easily crack your password
and get access. By default all accounts have administrator permissions so
make sure all users on all pc's are using a strong password. If you are
using XP Pro turn off simple file sharing, make sure all volumes are using
NTFS, and restrict access by NTFS permissions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xeconstrongpasswords.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_password_tips.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307874

Kerry

Relevant Pages

  • Re: BB newbie seeks advice on security
    ... inique MAC Codes;your router should have a feature to show what mac ... you can then restrict access to just those. ... Wireless stations access list. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • administrator permissions
    ... On my computer that is wirelessly connected to my router on my home ... when I try to delete software in add/remove programs I ... How do I gain "administrator permissions" to gain access to add/remove ...
  • Re: Encrypted wireless
    ... >I have a wireless DSL router set up at home. ... >wireless router that can restrict access by MAC address?). ... Locate the device further from the freeloaders ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Encrypted wireless
    ... >>I have a wireless DSL router set up at home. ... >>wireless router that can restrict access by MAC address?). ... And if I can stop casual freeloaders, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Encrypted wireless
    ... >I have a wireless DSL router set up at home. ... >wireless router that can restrict access by MAC address?). ... Not that mac addresses stop anyone but casual freeloaders. ...
    (Debian-User)