Re: sp2 to sp1

From: Steve N. (me_at_here.now)
Date: 05/29/05

Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 19:39:21 GMT

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
>> CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
>> removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.
>
> Hi,
>
> No, you will not...
>
> I have just tested this:
>
> Clean install using a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Now I have a
> WinXP SP2 installation where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and
> ServicePackFiles folder does NOT exist. Winver.exe reports that
> Service Pack 2 is installed.
>
> Then I use a WinXP CD with SP1 slipstreamed and do a repair install
> following the instructions in step 1 to 6 that is listed here:
>
> I get no error messages about incompatible service pack levels or
> files, everything goes smoothly.
>
> After the repair install is finished and the computer reboots, I have
> Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Winver.exe reports that
> Service Pack 1 is installed, and e.g. the Security Center is gone.
>
> Conclusion:
> With a repair install, you can remove SP2 for WinXP even when SP2 was
> slipstreamed into the OS install media, or if you have deleted the
> $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.

And I can attest that a clean install from an OEM Win XP Pro Sp2 CD (not
slipstreamed) can be taken back to SP1 with a repair install from an XP
Pro OEM SP1 CD.

Carey is full of it, as is nearly usual. He never tests anything for
himself.

Thanks again, Torgeir.

Steve

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Repair XP SP2 installation with XP SP1 CD-ROM
    ... For the same reason you would want to go back to Windows 95 from XP. ... Uninstall SP2, ... > from SP1 to SP2. ... >>> select a repair install, and afterwards apply all the fixes pertinent to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Repair XP SP2 installation with XP SP1 CD-ROM
    ... What is the reason that you re-instal SP1 over ... SP2 for all machines deployed. ... > select a repair install, and afterwards apply all the fixes pertinent to XP ... >>> the SP2 icons remained in the Control Panel. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: PowerToys for XP
    ... you can do a repair install of XP. ... download the SP1 (That just made me wonder, ... |>taken a default control of image file extensions. ... |>resizer is very much quicker to access when all you want ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Repair XP SP2 installation with XP SP1 CD-ROM
    ... from SP1 to SP2. ... My question is why would you want to go back to SP1? ... >> back to WinXP SP1, ... >> select a repair install, and afterwards apply all the fixes pertinent to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: sp2 to sp1