Re: How to selectively allow access to a workstation

From: Matija Hrovat (
Date: 05/26/05

    Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:55:52 +0200

    if I understood you OK, both computers (Win2000 and the new laptop) aren't a
    part of the domain ?
    If so, create users on both computers that have identical passwords;
    If you log on to Win2k with User1 and you log on to Xp laptop with User2,
    create User2 on his Win2k and create User1 on his Xp laptop.

    if you have blank passwords, take a look at the following article:

    Disable simple file sharing on WinXp
    and set the permissions and security (Explained in the article mentioned
    above )

    If I misunderstood you or I wasn't clear please feel free to contact me.

    For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    Best Regards,
    Matija Hrovat
    "JJ Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > We have a Windows 2000 pro workstation that is part of a Windows 2000
    > Server network domain.  Nobody on the network is allowed to see
    > anything in this workstation (not shared).
    > Now the owner of the workstation has purchased a Windows XP Pro laptop.
    > The laptop has been added to the network, but it is also not shared.
    > However, this person would like his laptop and his workstation to be
    > able to communicate with each other, while still keeping both of these
    > computers totally un-shared with the rest of the network.
    > Could somebody point me in the right direction on this?  I'm not a
    > Windows guru.  Would it be possible to set the ACL's on both computers'
    > C-drives to only allow access to the other?
    > Thanks

    • Re: XP Pro does not map Computer Names to Network IP addresses Why?
      ... >>>that a hacker would be able to get into my network through his laptop. ... >>>If I assign static IP's to my work computers and have ZAP only allow those ... >>I believe ZAP contains stateful features (ie better than just "this external ip ...
    • Re: SyncToy installation
      ... Hi again, thanks for your last reply, my PC & Laptop both hav XP SP2 ... Both computers are not visabl on the laptop, A directory has been created MY ... Windows Network, With sub Directories MSHOME>John's Laptop>Shared Docs (with ... If both computers are visible, on the laptop, now create a folder. ...
    • Re: Home network problem (router and 2 laptops)
      ... >> (could be the Novell network software that I installed and later removed). ... I can also see both computers in My Network Places. ... >> try to access the other laptop. ... Open Notepad. ...
    • Re: home networking
      ... >>>I am trying to set up my home network with a desktop and laptop. ... >>>computers are running XP SP2 Home Edition. ... >>>can I use the existing wired connection? ...
    • Need help with XP Home edition networkin workgroup
      ... I'm trying to set up a small home network with a workstation and a laptop, ... The problem is that I can access the "shared documents" folder on the laptop ...