Re: How to selectively allow access to a workstation

From: Matija Hrovat (matija.hrovat_at_avtenta.si-spam)
Date: 05/26/05

    Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:55:52 +0200

    Hi,
    if I understood you OK, both computers (Win2000 and the new laptop) aren't a
    part of the domain ?
    If so, create users on both computers that have identical passwords;
    If you log on to Win2k with User1 and you log on to Xp laptop with User2,
    create User2 on his Win2k and create User1 on his Xp laptop.

    NOTE:____________________________________________
    if you have blank passwords, take a look at the following article:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/45acdbfd-7d8e-4b70-b332-97f9e2d975e1.mspx
            or
    http://tinyurl.com/cdenq

    Disable simple file sharing on WinXp
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307874)
    and set the permissions and security (Explained in the article mentioned
    above )

    If I misunderstood you or I wasn't clear please feel free to contact me.

    For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    --
    Best Regards,
    Matija Hrovat
    "JJ Jones" <jamesjonathanjones@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We have a Windows 2000 pro workstation that is part of a Windows 2000
    > Server network domain.  Nobody on the network is allowed to see
    > anything in this workstation (not shared).
    >
    > Now the owner of the workstation has purchased a Windows XP Pro laptop.
    > The laptop has been added to the network, but it is also not shared.
    >
    > However, this person would like his laptop and his workstation to be
    > able to communicate with each other, while still keeping both of these
    > computers totally un-shared with the rest of the network.
    >
    > Could somebody point me in the right direction on this?  I'm not a
    > Windows guru.  Would it be possible to set the ACL's on both computers'
    > C-drives to only allow access to the other?
    >
    > Thanks

    • Re: XP Pro does not map Computer Names to Network IP addresses Why?
      ... >>>that a hacker would be able to get into my network through his laptop. ... >>>If I assign static IP's to my work computers and have ZAP only allow those ... >>I believe ZAP contains stateful features (ie better than just "this external ip ...
    • Re: SyncToy installation
      ... Hi again, thanks for your last reply, my PC & Laptop both hav XP SP2 ... Both computers are not visabl on the laptop, A directory has been created MY ... Windows Network, With sub Directories MSHOME>John's Laptop>Shared Docs (with ... If both computers are visible, on the laptop, now create a folder. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Home network problem (router and 2 laptops)
      ... >> (could be the Novell network software that I installed and later removed). ... I can also see both computers in My Network Places. ... >> try to access the other laptop. ... Open Notepad. ...
    • Re: home networking
      ... >>>I am trying to set up my home network with a desktop and laptop. ... >>>computers are running XP SP2 Home Edition. ... >>>can I use the existing wired connection? ...
    • Need help with XP Home edition networkin workgroup
      ... I'm trying to set up a small home network with a workstation and a laptop, ... The problem is that I can access the "shared documents" folder on the laptop ...