Re: Reformatting hard drive with corrupted OS

From: Doug Knox MS-MVP (dknox_at_mvps.org)
Date: 05/25/05

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:17:30 -0400

Yes, the downside is that you won't be able to boot your computer, as the boot files are on the C: drive.

Leave:

NTLDR
NTDETECT.COM
BOOT.INI

on the C: drive. Do not format, just delete anything you don't want. You can edit BOOT.INI to remove the old reference to the installation on the C: drive.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Colvalava" <Colvalava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99A880A1-034C-4546-B523-B3536F761D48@microsoft.com...
>A recent hard crash led me to do a fresh installation of WinXP on my second
> hard drive, which became the D: drive. I have reinstalled all of my programs
> on that drive and transferred all of my files to it from the C: drive. The C:
> drive now contains only the corrupted OS and files I no longer need. When I
> boot up, I am given the choice of which drive to boot up on. Of course I
> select the D: drive. I would like to reformat the C: drive, wiping all data
> from it. Is there any downside to doing what I suggest? Is there anything
> else I need to do (modify files, etc.) before I do the reformat?

Relevant Pages

  • Reformatting hard drive with corrupted OS
    ... A recent hard crash led me to do a fresh installation of WinXP on my second ... boot up, I am given the choice of which drive to boot up on. ... else I need to do before I do the reformat? ...
  • Re: 32-bit vs 64-bit Im so confused
    ... then there's the 64-bit mode I could boot into. ... upside and downside of doing that? ... Which kernel boots is not set automatically. ... Selecting automatically seems like it would be a trivial software matter. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: booting from USB
    ... Boot Ubuntu from CD with a blank USB drive attached. ... The installer should apply the GRUB boot loader to the main disk allowing you to dual boot. ... Downside, you can't boot without the Linux USB drive attached......FROM EXPERIENCE. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: 32-bit vs 64-bit Im so confused
    ... then there's the 64-bit mode I could boot into. ... upside and downside of doing that? ... Which kernel boots is not set automatically. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: installing Linux without floppy
    ... I guess I misread the Mandrake default of lilo for boot loader selection. ... Downside is if you lose grub.conf you cannot boot the other OSs. ...
    (alt.os.linux)