Re: Sharing and Security button is missing

From: Wesley Vogel (123WVogel955_at_comcast.net)
Date: 05/24/05

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:24:28 -0600

John,

1. Who knows? Why is there air?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
Value Name: NoSecurityTab
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1
0 = Security Tab
1 = No Security Tab

XP Pro???

[[Remove Security tab

Administrative Template: System
Policy Node: USER
Policy Path: Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer
Help/Explain Text: Removes the Security tab from Windows Explorer. If you
enable this setting, users opening the Properties dialog box for all file
system objects, including folders, files, shortcuts, and drives, will not be
able to access the Security tab. As a result, users will be able to neither
change the security settings nor view a list of all users that have access
to the resource in question. If you disable or do not configure this
setting, users will be able to access the security tab.
Registry Settings:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoSecurityTab ]]
http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=552

--
Hope this helps.  Let us know.
Wes
> 1. How come in other Windows XP machines I didn't have to disable the
> Simplified Sharing and it is working fine?
> 2. I disabled it, re-boot the computer - still not there.
> 3. The drive is NTFS.
> 4. This is weird...

>> [[Troubleshooting
>> If the Security tab is not available, and if you cannot configure
>> permissions for users and groups, either the file or folder that you want
>> apply permissions to is not an NTFS drive, or simple file sharing is
>> enabled. To troubleshoot, follow these steps:1. Verify that the file or
>> folder that you want to apply permissions to is an NTFS drive. You can
>> set permissions only on drives that are formatted to use NTFS.
>> 2. By default, simplified sharing is enabled in Windows XP unless you are
>> on
>> a domain. To work around this behavior, disable Simplified Sharing. ]]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418#7
>>
>> How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.  Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uEyLsAKYFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> John <ein_shem@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I am trying to allow a Folder Share on a Windows XP machine and when I
>>> right-click the drive I can't see this button. Any idea where did it go
>>> and how to get it back?
>>> (Yes, I am logged in with administrator privileges).
>>>
>>> Thank you.

Relevant Pages

  • Please Read the Post: How to deny access to a folder in NTFS to a user ?
    ... a Security tab in the properties of NTFS folders. ... Associate Expert - Windows XP ExpertZone ... > deny access to users of "Guest Account" to a specific ... > independent drives not partioned drives. ...
  • Re: Messed up permissions -- please help
    ... Don't know zilch about partitioning, but, if as you say, you are new to ... The machine has three hard drives, two of which are partitioned into ... I don't have a security tab in order to see who has access ... remember that the permissions in the access control ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Missing Security Tab on Folder Properties Win XP Pro
    ... You generally cannot adjust file permissions remotely, ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ... Now, when you right click on a drive, folder ... >>> properties and look at the top tabs the security tab is ...
  • Re: UIDs, Passwords & "Run as"
    ... You probably need to adjust the file/folder/registry permissions related to the program in question. ... How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home ... Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP ...
  • Re: UAC
    ... internal/external drives then things gets easier. ... Note when you click on the Security Tab you should see a window pop up ... now make sure all permissions are changed to allow. ... nothing short of turning off UAC gets rid of them all. ...