Re: Spyware

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 05/24/05

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 21:35:39 -0400

From: "Mark Bennett" <MarkBennett@discussions.microsoft.com>

| My computer is slow at login and has some spyware symptoms. I ran MS
| Antispyware and it returned nothing. I ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it
| returned two items WildTangent and AdRoarPlugin. It was able to fix
| WildTangent, but couldn't do anyting with AdRoarPlugin. Why didn't MS
| Antispyware identify AdRoarPlugin and what can I do to get rid of it? Please
| advise. Thanks.

1) Download the following item...

         Ad-aware SE (Free personal version)
         http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

2) Update Adaware with latest definitions.
3) Disable System Restore
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
5) Using Ad-aware SE, perform a Full Scan of your platform and clean/delete
         any parasites found.
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using Adaware
7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
        (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
8) Reboot your PC.
9) Create a new Restore point

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Please help stop my computer going out the window !!
    ... >> You should have told MS Antispyware to ignore the ATI files the first ... >> Don't install beta software on a pc that has important data on it. ... >> backup program rather than relying on System Restore. ...
  • Re: xp crashes & ms windows antispyware
    ... What kind of account did your wife log into when she installed the spyware ... If it wasn't an administrator level account, ... AntiSpyware software as an Administrator; ... Turn OFF System restore; ...
  • Re: System Restore not Restoring
    ... You can only go back as far as the calendar lets you. ... > about 5 to 7 days prior to when I installed Microsoft ... > AntiSpyware on March 28, 2005, the System Restore program ...
  • Re: Please help stop my computer going out the window !!
    ... You shouldn't have relied on System Restore, ... I didn't really get the option because MS Antispyware did not actually list ... > backup program rather than relying on System Restore. ...
  • Re: xp crashes & ms windows antispyware
    ... > My wife installed Windows Antispyware today. ... > Windows XP home desktop boots but shuts itself down shortly after. ... > a broken machine. ... Use system restore and restore to a point before the issue was noticed. ...