changing read only attributes in Windows XP Pro

From: Tony (Tony_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/24/05

    Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:10:57 -0700

    I am trying to use briefcase to synchronise files between my laptop and
    desktop. I am having problems with read only rights of the files from
    desktop. In windows explorer they are displayed as editable (not read only)
    but when I am opening them in Word for example they show (read only). I have
    checked the rights using attrib command and it is showing like Windows
    Explorer that the attributes are not set to read only. Where from programs
    are getting this read only attribute ? How I can fix it for the whole
    directory not just individual files ?

    Thanks for suggestions.

    Tony