Re: RELOCATE 'USER' from Documents & Settings

From: WhiteZin2000 (Whitezin2000_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 05/18/05

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 07:46:32 -0400

You can simply copy/move the contents of this folder to another location -
however you must change the profile location in the Windows Registry. Look
for the registry key :
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once you locate this key, you'll see the users SID's listed. Click on a
users SID and in the right -window, look for the valure 'ProfileImagePath'.
You can edit this path to the new location where you copied the folders to.
You'll need to make sure your editing the correct SID also. To make sure
you're editing the right SID, have th user logon on at least once tot he PC
to create his folder structure. Once created, the entry will show up in the
SID list. Next, logon as an Administrator and perform the editing change I
list above. Once changed, logoff and log back on as the user and your
desktop should reflect the changes.

BE advised that the user must have FULL control of ALL the files/folders in
this location. Also, I've had some minor issues using this technique
regarding file permissions - so test it before you actually use it in
production.

BTW - This is also a handy trick when you want to keep the same 'desktop'
layout for a different user :) For more info, run a Google search on
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and you'll see
a few links.

CHEERS!

"Casius" <Casius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I relocate a USER subfolder from the Documents & Settings folder to
> another location without causing havoc in Windows?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SID Hitory Not Working after ADMT 3 Migration
    ... H drive to the shared folder. ... if you have permission(old account) on its parent folder. ... SID Hitory Not Working after ADMT 3 Migration ... The server on which the home folders are located has not been migrated. ...
  • Re: User gets married, changes name & wants log-in changed
    ... Since you work for a candy company, I figured you'd remember your friends ... home drive mapping on next logon and this might be perceived as a failure ... You can just rename the folder for the user. ... knows you by your sid ...
  • Re: adware and infected file problems, files keep propagating themselves, no DOS ??
    ... > necessary for the core operating system. ... > | what's an SID? ... The additional folder may be a result of norton system works taking control of the recycle bin. ... > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)
  • Re: Local Workgroup Networking Private Files...Help Requested
    ... box under the View tab of Folder Options. ... (My Sid account has the same user ... >> computers are running XP Pro formatted with NTFS.) ... >> EXCEPT as accessed by the Sid account on the other workgroup ...