Re: How to save the current state of my XP machine.

From: Juan (soyquiensoy_at_terra.com)
Date: 05/10/05

Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:22:05 -0700

Doug: How about Registry backups...
would executing a full registry backup to a certain
date not restore the system to the condition it was
at that date?

just wondering....

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> escribió en el mensaje
You may also want to see Help and Support for Automated System Restore
(ASR). However, the built-in backup utility cannot span a backup across
multiple CD's.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
"DQ" <DQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> I recently bought a Dell Laptop with Windows XP Professional and software
> bundle pre-installed.  When I boot up my laptop, I can press the F12
function
> key and have the system (with some kind of Dell pre-installed utility)
wipes
> out every thing I had installed after purchasing the laptop and restore my
> laptop back to its original state when the machine was shipped to me.  And
> this happens without having inserting any CD or diskette.
>
> I really like this capability and just wonder if I can do the same thing:
> Having the machine back to a given point where I want it to be.  For
example,
> after receiving this laptop, I make a connection to the Internet and
upgrade
> Windows with the latest patch.  Now, I don't want to press F12 to have the
> system restore my machine back to its original.  Rather, I want it to
restore
> itself back to the point where I had update its Windows XP with all of the
> latest patch, as of today.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: Imaging Drive for Backup / Restore
    ... but...I use True Image from Acronis. ... when I got my new Dell, I started copying files from the backup image ... laptop hard drive crashes, you replace the laptop hard drive, connect ... Then you can restore the image to the ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Best Restore Method
    ... i.e. a device that I can boot / load / restore from the crippled laptop and overwrite all of C: to the "clean" state that I had after installing the apps that I want as my baseline after I manually do a reinstall of Win XP Pro and the apps I want. ... Not sure if my laptop has boot from USB. ... You do the backup step. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: upgrade 4200hd or add more ram?
    ... > sounds like Windows is running out of free RAM and has to swap out. ... can I just buy any laptop hd and stick it in the ... > restore the laptop to original factory condition including software if ... > enclosure as a backup hard drive. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Backing up and restoring my whole system
    ... backup discussions and just want to make sure I'm proceeding on the ... got an error on my laptop when I booted up saying my config.sys was ... System back up disks but, of course, 'lost' my data. ... and want to be able to back up and restore ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Use of Image Backup cd
    ... backup of my operating system work on another laptop of similar hardware configuration, what if I have given a password on booth as I have done now, will this help as a security? ... > That is going to be a LOT of CDs, those CDs could be used to> restore onto ...