Re: Need help with File Permissions

From: Doug Knox MS-MVP (dknox_at_mvps.org)
Date: 05/06/05

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 14:22:35 -0400

Ah, sorry, misread your intent. In addition to the below, specifically add the Restricted user, by username and grant the permissions you want.

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"malhenry" <malhenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DE5D04F-4A5D-40BE-BB87-CDCC789EA308@microsoft.com...
> Are you sure this is really the answer?  I looked at the link you recommended
> which points to article 307874 which is about file sharing to other users in
> the network.  This is not what I want to do.  Its a single box with multiple
> users in a workgroup.  I want a particular user in the group to have write
> access instead of just having the admin have write access.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"
>>
>> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>>

>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "malhenry" <malhenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04FA503C-7167-41C0-800A-93D3CB993934@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have copied thousands of files from my old XP Pro system drive to a brand
>> > new installed drive of XP Pro.  Unfortunately, on my old system all the files
>> > were created under an admin acct.
>> >
>> > On my new system, I want to just use the admin acct for installs only and
>> > use the restricted user account for regular work.  Unfortunately the
>> > restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files.  How can I
>> > change this so that the restricted user also has write permission to all of
>> > these data files, but does not have admin privileges.
>> >
>> > TIA!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need help with File Permissions
    ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes ... on my old system all the files> were created under an admin acct. ... Unfortunately the> restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. ...
  • organizational chart
    ... Office 2000, organizational chart, with a restricted user on WInXP Pro. ... I think perhaps my problem is that I might not be setting the permissions ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • computer/printer privaledges
    ... I have a machine that is just a restricted user, ... can think of as far as permissions go. ... Domain Admin doing for me that I am missing? ...
  • Re: Resizing Taskbar
    ... I think Windows Explorer taskbar fails to save his settings to the ... You have no permissions (restricted user account). ... Your registry is damaged. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Need help with File Permissions
    ... > Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ... >> were created under an admin acct. ... >> restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. ...