Re: Need help with File Permissions

From: malhenry (malhenry_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/06/05

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 10:26:06 -0700

Are you sure this is really the answer? I looked at the link you recommended
which points to article 307874 which is about file sharing to other users in
the network. This is not what I want to do. Its a single box with multiple
users in a workgroup. I want a particular user in the group to have write
access instead of just having the admin have write access.

Thanks.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>

> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "malhenry" <malhenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04FA503C-7167-41C0-800A-93D3CB993934@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have copied thousands of files from my old XP Pro system drive to a brand
> > new installed drive of XP Pro. Unfortunately, on my old system all the files
> > were created under an admin acct.
> >
> > On my new system, I want to just use the admin acct for installs only and
> > use the restricted user account for regular work. Unfortunately the
> > restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. How can I
> > change this so that the restricted user also has write permission to all of
> > these data files, but does not have admin privileges.
> >
> > TIA!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need help with File Permissions
    ... local computer" - thread ... > were created under an admin acct. ... > restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. ...
  • Need help with File Permissions
    ... I have copied thousands of files from my old XP Pro system drive to a brand ... were created under an admin acct. ... restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. ...
  • Admin account settings not sticking
    ... installed XP pro with admin acct and restricted user. ... User profile settings do not stick on admin acct...deleted ...
  • Re: Need help with File Permissions
    ... > were created under an admin acct. ... > restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. ... Even if you are not using file sharing you have to turn off simple file ...
  • Re: Need help with File Permissions
    ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes ... on my old system all the files> were created under an admin acct. ... Unfortunately the> restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. ...