RE: Turning on the firewall via a GPO

From: Tom Che [MSFT] (v-tomche_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/03/05

    Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 09:31:45 GMT

    Hi Harrison,

    Thanks for posting here. Also thank the other customer's reply.

    >From your post, my understanding of your concern is: You want to know how
    to configure the Windows Firewall to allow user to turn off the Firewall,
    but itself will turn on after next restarting. If this is not correct,
    please feel free to let me know.

    Although there isn't a proper simple policy with GPO to do this, we still
    can complete this by Script:

    1. Edit a script which can run the following command:

    netsh firewall set opmode enable

    Above command will turn on the Windows Firewall

    For more information about this command, please refer to the following
    document:

    Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service
    Pack 2
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/a/68a81446-cd73-4a61-8665-8a67781
    ac4e8/wf_xpsp2.doc

    2. Add the script file to Domain Default GPO as Computer Startup or/and
    Shutdown Scripts

    For more information about how to write script and GPO Startup/Shutdown
    Scripts, please refer to the following Microsoft Web site:

    Script Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/default.mspx

    Windows 2000 Computer Startup Scripts:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/optimi
    ze/startw2k.asp?frame=true

    Active Directory Services and Group Policy in Windows Server 2003:
    http://www.microsoft.com/israel/events/downloads/ws2003event/Active_Director
    y.ppt

    Hope this helps!

    Have a nice day!