Re: CD Key Problems

From: Star Fleet Admiral Q (Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)_at_(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com)
Date: 05/02/05

Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 18:19:00 -0400

I think it stinks, but unfortunately for you and others, an OEM version of
XP is permanently tied to the first machine (motherboard) originally
installed - when the machine (motherboard) dies, XP dies, unless you can get
an exact/compatible replacement motherboard from the manufacturer or the
manufacturer will supply a new CD BIOS locked to you new motherboard, you
only have one option - but an XP full version and do a repair install. Yes,
an upgrade will get you by this time, but what about next time, when you
format and want to do a clean install? You'll need some type of qualifying
media for the upgrade version to work - an old Win9x will do if you have
one, but otherwise, it'll be a hassle.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
http://www.google.com
"jamiecccp" <jamiecccp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i currently need to activate my windows xp home edition i have until the
>end
> of the month
>
> the problem is i have an Windows XP Home Edition emachines key and when i
> bought my new mobo and cpu two days ago, when i ran windows xp it wouldnt
> work properly
>
> because emachines makes there products impossible to change i had to
> reformat my hdd
>
> so right now i have a windows xp key thats valid and i paid for but the
> non-emachine versions of windows doesnt support it so what i need is to
> activate windows and change the cd key i installed it with to my emachines
> cd
> key - which is probably impossible
>
> or get a cd key from microsoft or emachines in exchange for the key i have
>
> any ideas
>
> the key i used in installation was my cousins - i understand i cant
> activate
> that key and i really dont want to reinstall windows in 30 days any
> suggestions?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: P4C800-DELUXE XP Install Problems --- Hanging
    ... Windows Install Guide by Mr Steveo from ABX Zone Website. ... Additionally, if you have a Springdale or Canterwood chipset motherboard, ... Install chipset INFs before any video or sound drivers. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Why I Dont Use Computers for Audio Very Much
    ... To me its obvious that only the very knowledgeable should assemble ... a computer and install a defined sound card and exactly one software ... motherboard (not a Gigabit, Asus, Abit, or Intel, the brands we talk ... Smoke test time came, and, while there was no smoke, Windows kept not ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Why I Dont Use Computers for Audio Very Much
    ... To me its obvious that only the very knowledgeable should assemble ... a computer and install a defined sound card and exactly one software ... motherboard (not a Gigabit, Asus, Abit, or Intel, the brands we talk ... Smoke test time came, and, while there was no smoke, Windows kept not ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Why I Dont Use Computers for Audio Very Much
    ... motherboard (not a Gigabit, Asus, Abit, or Intel, the brands we talk ... Smoke test time came, and, while there was no smoke, Windows kept not ... scratch hard drive, that he install that, install Windows on it, and ... boot disc and do a REPAIR install. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: New Motherboard
    ... I put in a brand new ASUS Motherboard, AMD 64 FX 3500 CPU, ... didn`t need to do a repair install or re-activation. ... > 1.Do Not BOOT into Windows XP on first boot after Motherboard or Hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)