Re: CD Key Problems

From: Star Fleet Admiral Q (Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)_at_(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com)
Date: 05/02/05

Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 18:19:00 -0400

I think it stinks, but unfortunately for you and others, an OEM version of
XP is permanently tied to the first machine (motherboard) originally
installed - when the machine (motherboard) dies, XP dies, unless you can get
an exact/compatible replacement motherboard from the manufacturer or the
manufacturer will supply a new CD BIOS locked to you new motherboard, you
only have one option - but an XP full version and do a repair install. Yes,
an upgrade will get you by this time, but what about next time, when you
format and want to do a clean install? You'll need some type of qualifying
media for the upgrade version to work - an old Win9x will do if you have
one, but otherwise, it'll be a hassle.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
http://www.google.com