Re: SP2 Firewall

From: Shenan Stanley (newshelper_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/10/05

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 19:34:07 -0500

Chris Matchett wrote:
> The SP2 Firewall has stopped my ftp programs working.
>
> I have added the programs to 'exceptions' and opened up Port 21 and
> still no joy. Is there anything else I can do? (please don't say turn
> it off :) ).
>
> Could it also have anything to do with the fact my Windows XP machine
> is sitting behind a linux router with and firewall?

You mean in Internet Explorer?
Go into Internet Options...Advanced, find the entry under "browsing"
called "Use Passive FTP" and un-check it.

And if you haven't opened the ports (allowed them to pass-through) on your
other firewall, then that could be the problem, yes.

--
<- Shenan ->
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.   Know what you are

  • Re: Worth the Upgrade to SP2?
    ... > Adaware SE with all updates installed. ... > Is there another reason for me to upgrade to SP2? ... You mean your mention of AntiSpyware and your use of a third party firewall ... The Add-On Manager in Internet Explorer could help you get ...
  • Re: Worth the Upgrade to SP2?
    ... Alarm Pro, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, CW Shredder, and Adaware SE with all updates installed. ... Is there another reason for me to upgrade to SP2? ... You mean your mention of AntiSpyware and your use of a third party firewall and a comparison with what you do now and what you will do after you patch with SP2... ... The Add-On Manager in Internet Explorer could help you get rid of some of the parasites you collect.. ...
  • Re: Uninstalling IE to rid spyware
    ... considering it is not an option in XP to uninstall Internet Explorer - ... spyware infects all aspects of your PC, ... disable your Windows Messenger service. ... by the normal home user and in cooperation with a good firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Do I need Norton firewall now I have an ADSL modem/hub/router/firewall?
    ... in my opinion NAT is not a very good firewall: ... > You need a software firewall on each computer in your LAN; ... If you want true browser security, stop using Internet Explorer and use ... Administrator account. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Where does the problem lie ?
    ... Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from ... Windows Firewall. ... Updates offered. ...