RE: Access denied when accessing encrypted files

From: Pat Hoffer [MSFT] (pathoff_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/01/05

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:25:02 -0800

A couple of questions... Do you have SP2 installed on your machine and is
your machine connected (online) to the network when you get "access denied"
to the files?

Thanks.
Pat

"Rachel L Chipman" wrote:

> I have file encryption setup for some files on my hard drive (XP
> Professional). Everything was working fine until I was prompted to change my
> network password. I did this and am now unable to access the encrypted
> files. I get the message Access denied when trying to open the files. If I
> change my network password back, I am then able to open the files.
>
> Our network is set to have users change their domain password every X number
> of days. If they do and are then unable to access encrypted files on their
> PC, what good is the EFS in XP?? From what I can see, you can not use EFS in
> XP if you are on a network and changing your network password periodically.
> Any input on this is GREATLY appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
> Rachel

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Cached Network Password
    ... Subject: Cached Network Password ... the governing KPMG client engagement letter. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Field to fill in the username is greyed out when connecting over network to workgroup PC
    ... When you access Windows XP Home Edition over the network, ... Home Edition control networked access to it using the Guest account: ... If the Guest account has a network password, ... which lets users on other computers validate as themselves. ...
  • Re: Field to fill in the username is greyed out when connecting over network to workgroup PC
    ... When you access Windows XP Home Edition over the network, ... Home Edition control networked access to it using the Guest account: ... If the Guest account has a network password, ... which lets users on other computers validate as themselves. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Enter network password?
    ... Steve, sorry for the long absence - I have been sidelined with serious ... Network of laptop and desktop is joined by wireless D-Link router. ... Message is "Enter Network Password to make this connection. ...
  • RE: Cached Network Password
    ... Subject: Cached Network Password ... LSA Secrets is what I have heard this caching of credentials being called. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)