windows firewall problem

From: rbryant (rbryant_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/31/05

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:45:05 -0800

i am continually losing my i-net connection and am unable to update my virus
program. Started with my service provider whom said my modem is good and the
problem is with my firewall. They then told me to close it. Does that mean
turn it off???? I currently run windows xp and do not know alot about the
firewall but i do know i should have it on and active. Help me please

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IP address changed - Internet does not work
    ... > I have ADSL connection.Suddenly my IP address is changed and got ... > not change it .Can it be a virus? ... Service provider says ... Modem is connected properly. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: New modem and iptables...
    ... The router performs firewall and NAT functions ... If you want to persuade me it's a modem, ... it's a router and _it_ has your public Internet address. ... It also does NAT (otherwise you couldn't have a private IP address on ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Lost Internet Connectivity
    ... The modem is obviously working correctly - or I wouldn't be able to connect ... ethernet connection, along with the ipconfig, ping, etc returning null ... Firewall, McAfee Personal Firewall, VS, two-PC network, Motorola modem, ... connection, etc. Swapped cables, end-to-end, replace cable. ...
  • Re: Identity P/W and Security question
    ... If all you use the permanent connection for is surfing, ... A firewall that just blocks all incoming connections ... and a virus scanner to take care of the mail worms is all they've ever ... >> around the net surfing news sites or whatever it does the job. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... I can't speak for the icon set, ... If there is a firewall involved, ... There's nothing wrong about using dial on demand, ... My firewall and modem are hidden away out of sight, ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)