Smart Card Base Components problem on XP

From: William Dicks (william.dicks_at_bluefish.com)
Date: 02/28/05

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:35:35 +0200

I used to run Win2k on my machine. Last week I upgraded to XP, and
since then my applications that make use of smart cards can no longer
see any smart card readers connected to my machine. I ran the smart
card reader diagnostic tool and it reported the following:

 1. Windows XP (Version 5.1, Build 2600), "Service Pack 2"
 2. Locale ID: 1c09 (English)
 3. Windows Folder: C:\WINNT
 4. PC/SC initialised
 5. SCardEstablishContext failed. Message: SCARD_E_NO_SERVICE
 6. CTAPI initialised
 7. SCARD32.DLL loaded
 8. CHIPDRIVE driver version: SCardServer V2.14.41
 9. The driver is installed correctly.
10. List of found chip card reader(s)
11. 1 devices with CHIPDRIVE SCARD Interface support:
12. CHIPDRIVE extern I USB at COM2 Status: valid PrID: 67/0
13. Card in reader at port COM2 read successfully via SCARD

This occurred even before loading SP2. As you can see in line 5 that
after PC/SC was initialised SCardEstablishContext still failed and
that no smart card manager service could be found. However, when I
check the the services from the control panel, I see that the Smart
Card manager is running. I have also done the "scardsvr reinstall"
command, but to no avail.

Can anyone help me in this regard?

Thanks!
William Dicks

Relevant Pages

  • Smart Card Base Components problem on XP
    ... see any smart card readers connected to my machine. ... that no smart card manager service could be found. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Windows logon through smart card.
    ... The card vendor should have a CSP ... You are correct that the certificate is stored only on the smart card. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • external DLL in c++
    ... Library for reading public info from the SIS card ... first available (according to PC/SC card reader enumeration), ... return "The smart card resource manager is not running."; ...
    (comp.lang.clarion)
  • Re: Help su configurazione lettori di smart card.......
    ... problema è che il sistema non funziona neanche col 10.3, ... le istruzoni del sito omnikey per il lettore di smart card. ... soltanto con Mac OS X 10.3.8 e con smart card che hanno un numero di ...
    (it.comp.macintosh)
  • Re: Problem accessing smart card reader via Remote Desktop
    ... Did you try to use the the Windows 2003 TS client on the ... > If you make the remote desktop connection from a Windows ... > error 'The Smart card resource manager is not running'. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)