Re: Antivirus with SSL E-mail Servers

From: Malke (noreply_at_invalid.com)
Date: 02/07/05

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:30:39 -0800

Lynn Q wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Have investigated this problem with no luck on many fronts. The ISP,
> Symantec, many Google searches, and so on.
>
> My ISP upgraded their e-mail servers from pop1 and smtp1 (for
> simplicity) to
> a new format, i.e., pophm and smtphm. This caused many problems for
> my
> Norton AntiVirus 2005. It appears there is no resolution to be found
> with
> Symantec who suggest turning off the e-mail scanning. However, I
> still get
> errors. The only way my e-mail will send and receive is to have no
> antivirus whatsoever installed. Otherwise... conflicts...
>
> I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. I connect with a dial-up modem which
> then
> uses a satellite modem (need for speed). The satellite modem has
> problems with these servers; however, if I connect with dial-up
> networking alone, I
> still have errors and cannot send any e-mails. I have spoken with the
> satellite modem support staff. No resolution there either. All in
> all I have spent a few days on the phone with the various companies,
> e-mailed support sites, but just now remembered this group.
>
> So, I need to find an antivirus package that will work with these SSL
> pophm
> and smtphm e-mail servers. I have investigated many, but without
> luck, so
> hoping someone here might have an idea or two. It quite clearly
> states in many product packages that they will not work with SSL.

And your satellite ISP doesn't have any answers and/or recommendations
to solve the mess *they* created? I'd say "get another ISP", but if
you're using satellite you probably don't have any other choices.

Since you didn't say which av's you've already investigated ("many" is
too vague), I don't see the sense in just listing a dozen or so.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Switch ISP's.

2. Get your own domain name and have it hosted by a good hosting company
(this isn't an ad, but I like mine - HostingMatters) which will then
host your email. This is quite inexpensive. I think the lowest package
HM has is something like $6/month. You don't have to use the ISP's
email servers then and can use normal av solutions.

2a. Use Yahoo or Hotmail instead and not the ISP's email.

3. Set up a Linux box for email and install SpamAssassin and Kaspersky
or the like, and set the Windows boxen to get their mail from it. This
is a pretty high-tech solution, but I don't know your skill set.

Bottom line - don't bother using the ISP's email servers.

Malke

--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Symantec Outlook Express Question...
    ... And it's not necessarily your ISP, ... could be any Post Office along the way that handles your mail. ... > Symantec. ... >>> has four sub-keys and many strings, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Symantec Outlook Express Question...
    ... And it's not necessarily your ISP, ... could be any Post Office along the way that handles your mail. ... > Symantec. ... >>> has four sub-keys and many strings, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Symantec Outlook Express Question...
    ... And it's not necessarily your ISP, ... could be any Post Office along the way that handles your mail. ... > Symantec. ... >>> has four sub-keys and many strings, ...
  • Re: Very strange problem....
    ... Everytime I try to go there I get the MSN ... ISP), to try to bring the page up and they can. ... no luck. ... >> advice and did a full hosts scan and didn't find another one. ...
  • Antivirus with SSL E-mail Servers
    ... a new format, i.e., pophm and smtphm. ... Symantec who suggest turning off the e-mail scanning. ... uses a satellite modem. ... I need to find an antivirus package that will work with these SSL pophm ...