Re: User Management Question

stevems_at_stevems.com
Date: 11/21/04

    Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:55:50 -0500

    Thank you very much for your help Malke.

    Malke wrote:
> [...]
    >>change the user name.
    >>
    >>You could imagine that this would become very complicated. My account
    >>names and <C:Documents and Settings> folders would never match.
    >>
    >>So, the question is: How do I change "Admin" to "Bob" and "Bob" to
    >>"Admin" -- and have the "Admin" and "Bob" folder names in the
    >><C:Documents and Settings> folder change accordingly so that I don't
    >>drive myself crazy trying to remember which folder is linked to which
    >>user. I'm just not sure I can just rename those folders without doing
    >>irreparable harm to Sharing and Security Permission settings - as well
    >>as however they are linked to the User Account names.
    >>
    >>___________________________________
    >>
    >>Also, here is an unrelated question:
    >>When you establish a XP User Account, you are asked if you want your
    >>files to remain private. Assuming you have selected this option when
    >>you setup the account - how do you make them Un-Private at a later
    >>time?
    >>

    >>Thanks very much for your feedback.
    >

    > For the first question, the easiest way to deal with this would be to
    > just make a new third account and call it BobNew or whatever. Then copy
    > the user account information of the one you want to match BobNew.
    > Here's information to help you with that:

    > Copy Files to the New User Profile
    >
    > 1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying
    > files to or from.
    > 2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the
    > View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide
    > protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
    > 3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C
    > is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the
    > name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
    > 4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and
    > subfolder in this folder, except the following files:
    > * Ntuser.dat
    > * Ntuser.dat.log
    > * Ntuser.ini
    > 5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
    > 6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C
    > is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the
    > name of the user
    > profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
    > 7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
    > 8. Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.
    >
    > Note: You must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user
    > profile before you delete the old profile. For additional information
    > see 313055 OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are
    > Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
    >
    > Regarding making/unmaking folders private, if you look in XP's Help &
    > Support for "make folders private" it will show you the steps you need
    > to make them private (instead of automatically from the User Account
    > creation wizard). You just reverse the steps to make them "unprivate"

    • Re: User name assigned to a new profile!
      ... Windows explorer shows that my folders and files are still there, ... Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. ... Where is his account? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: User name assigned to a new profile!
      ... Windows explorer shows that my folders and files are still there, ... Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. ... Where is his account? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Why windows profiles changing
      ... profile login. ... MVP - Windows Server Networking ... the user account is a local user account. ...
    • Re: user account
      ... | deleted the user account it asked if i wanted to keep the files ... When you click the button labeled "Keep Files" Windows ... Help and Support Center Help topic titled: ... folders search the Windows XP Professional Help and Support ...
    • Re: Help! I cant open or restore!
      ... Log into another user account that has ... Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying ... In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)