Re: password protected user on slave drive

From: Matt DuBois [MSFT] (
Date: 10/15/04

    Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:35:49 -0700

    When you're booted into safe mode, you should be able to see the
    Administrator account in the User Accounts control panel even though it
    doesn't show up when you are booted normally. Is that not the case?

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Can't believe it.  Been working on this problem for about a week.  Shoulda
    > come to you first-- only took about a half hour with your instructions and
    > think I've got all my files back-- even my Microsoft Outlook email files
    > and
    > address book.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  You're the best, Matt
    > DuBois.
    > One followup question-- when I followed the instructions and was going to
    > log in as an administrator, I was surprised to see two administrator
    > accounts, one for me as "Owner" which I expected, and which I had password
    > protected, but another as just "Administrator" which was not password
    > protected to log on.  Could this mean that someone could log on to my (and
    > maybe most any) computer in Safe Mode and get Administrator privileges
    > without a password??  And how do I protect this Safe Mode Administrator
    > account with a password-- I don't see it in User Accounts in the Control
    > Panel.
    > Thanks again for your help.  Bye bye desparation..........
    > "Matt DuBois [MSFT]" wrote:
    >> The good news is that you're probably going to be able to get your files
    >> back.  The slightly less than good news is that the process is a little
    >> involved on XP Home.  Check out the following KB article and see if it
    >> fixes
    >> you up.  You can reply back to this message if you have more questions or
    >> run into trouble, or even just to say that it worked for you.
    >> --
    >> This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    >> "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> > My hard drive crashed.  The restore CD did not recover it (I can't boot
    >> > up
    >> > on
    >> > this drive).  I bought a new hard drive, installed it as Master drive,
    >> > and
    >> > installed the old hard drive as a Slave drive, hoping to recover my
    >> > files.
    >> > Was able to recover all files from all User Accounts except mine, the
    >> > Computer Administrator account, which I had password protected in order
    >> > open.  When I go to my (Computer Administrator) User Account in
    >> > Documents
    >> > and
    >> > Settings on this Slave drive via My Computer or Windows Explorer or
    >> > Microsoft
    >> > Word (Open File), or other programs, I get an "Access is denied"
    >> > message,
    >> > with no chance to even try to enter my old password (which, by the way,
    >> > is
    >> > the same password I'm using on my new (Master) hard drive).
    >> >
    >> > Since other User Account data files were OK, I remain hopeful that mine
    >> > are
    >> > too, if I could just access them.  Any ideas?  (Hate to admit it, but I
    >> > hadn't done a comprehensive hard drive backup for six months, so I'm at
    >> > least
> [...]

    • Re: administrator password
      ... Reboot to Safe Mode as previously described. ... be sure to password all Administrator accounts. ... >>Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel. ... >>permanently lose access to the encrypted data. ...
    • Re: Windows xp security
      ... Reboot to Safe Mode, select Administrator, leave password blank. ... go to User Accounts in Control Panel. ...
    • Re: Loss of Administrator User
      ... Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen ... When I try to access the Administrator account while in Safe Mode it is ... Are you logging on with an account that has Administrator permissions?? ... Safe Mode to access the Administrator account in User Accounts. ...
    • Re: forgot my adminstrator password
      ... >Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel. ... >An easier way to read newsgroup messages: ... I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR AND I CAN'T LOG ON TO MY ... >.How do you boot into safe mode with Windows XP????? ...
    • Re: xp control panel does not display in safe mode
      ... Control Panel in the Windows XP General newsgroup. ... There is no password protection on my laptop for the Administrator ... Once you have the command prompt window open you can use the net user ... This should launch the alternate User Accounts applet. ...