Re: Windows Firewall Blocks my ability to connect to an FTP site
Date: 10/09/04

Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:49:17 -0700

I'm using SP2

I'm still getting the same thing. I've directly excepted
port 21 and did the steps the the KB Article. After I
unchecked the use Passive mode.

Same results.

IE dumps out with a no access message. The same address
with the firewall off works fine.

The Command-line FTP reports Unknown Error Number.

may help:
>You may not be able to open a project when you try to
connect to a remote Windows XP
>Service Pack 2-based computer by using the AutoCAD FTP
>Here's how to correct the problem after opening Port 21
via the
>SP2 firewall Exceptions tab:
>1. Open Internet Explorer >Tools > Internet Options >
Advanced tab
>2. Uncheck the box: "Use passive FTP (for firewall &
DSL modem capability)
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows XP - Shell/User
>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>"Joe Simpson" wrote:
>| I am unable to connect to an ftp site (Port or
>| If I turn off the Firewall I have no problem
>| I am unable to leave the Firewall on and Access driver
>| updates and anything FTP Based.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hacked? External address knocks on internal private address...
    ... The important part of your message is that FTP is allowed out... ... You open a connection to an FTP Server and logon. ... When you ask the server for a file the server issues a "PORT" command ... so it can open a port on the firewall to allow the incoming Data ...
  • RE: FTP Window of opportunity?
    ... does it seemingly accept the connections and drop them once the response ... Subject: FTP Window of opportunity? ... blocked by the firewall. ... the FTP port shows up. ...
  • RE: FTP Window of opportunity?
    ... target on the line when in reality it was just a firewall lying to them. ... The connection connects and then immediately ... Subject: FTP Window of opportunity? ... the FTP port shows up. ...
  • Re: FTP error using a MAC
    ... Yes, you are using active mode, but the firewall/NAT can't take care of it ... behind a firewall, you then told me to change to active mode? ... In active mode the FTP client connects from a random unprivileged port N ...
  • Re: site stopped working
    ... ok, windows firewall is NOT running, when i checked it there was a message ... when i open the ftp connection to the site in ftp.exe at the command line i ... i tried just changing the ftp port to 22, and that didn't do anything, ... Bernard Cheah ...