Re: Cookies and SP2

From: Shenan Stanley (news_helper_at_hushmail.com)
Date: 09/28/04

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:23:29 -0500

Michael wrote:
> Well, whoda thunk it? I know nothing like me has
> encountered a problem that apparently no one out there in
> microsoft land can answer.
>
> For the 3rd time on this site (and after 2
> hours "playing" with the nice lady on the other end of
> the microsoft support line) I will state my problem again.
>
> After installing SP2, my computer is unable to accept
> cookies NO MATTER WHAT I SET MY INTERNET OPTIONS TO - and
> on top of that, when I go into Control Panel - there is
> no icon for Cookies.
>
> Is anyone up to the challenge

I know what you said, but I think we will go through this from the
beginning.

First - Do this:

Close all Internet Explorer Windows.

1 - Click Start button
2 - On the Start menu click Control Panel
3 - In the Control Panel Window click the Internet Options icon
4 - When the internet properties window opens click the Privacy tab.
5 - You will see a slider in this window
6 - Pull the slider right down to the very bottom
7 - You should now see the legend 'Accept All Cookies'
8 - Click Apply
9 - Click on the Advanced button
10 - Check the "Override automatic cookie handling" checkbox
11 - Select "accept" in both columns
12 - Select "Always allow session cookies"
13 - Now click OK
14 - Click OK again

Now - download, install, run, update and scan with the following
applications:

 Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
 http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
 (Immunize with this one as well.)

 Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)

 CWShredder (Free!)
 ** No longer updated as of July 29, 2004 - however, still a great
    product and should still be ran **
 http://www.softbasket.com/download/s_8114.shtml

 Hijack This! (Free)
 http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
 ( Tutorial: http://hjt.wizardsofwebsites.com/ )

Once you have downloaded, installed, ran, updated and scanned with (and
where appropriate, immunized with) each of these applications, then download
and use the following two other applications/registry merges:

 SpywareBlaster (Free!)
 http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

 IE-SPYAD (Free!)
 https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

Now that we are sure your system is free of Spy/Ad/Malware - now we can try
a few other things.

1 - Make sure your time and Date settings are correct.
2 - Delete all your cookies
  (In IE - Tools --> Internet Options --> General tab --> Delete Cookies,
Delete all temporary internet files (include all offline content) and change
your Settings to 10MB for Temporary Internet Files and then close all IE
windows.)
3 - Turn off (temporarily) any Popup Stoppers/Firewalls (including SP2s new
additions.)
4 - Use the following application to insure you have erased all traces of
old files:
 12Ghosts Wash
 http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/wash.htm
5 - Do the following registry edit (for ONE Reboot)
 Clear the Page File at System Shutdown
 And when it you reboot, undo it (it can slow your reboots down enormously.)

Now - after all that - try to go to a site you couldn't access due to cookie
trouble.

You can uninstall whatever applications you want, but I recommend keeping
SpyBot and SpywareBlaster at the very least and keeping them updated.

If all that fails, you may want to consider the following options:

1 - Create a new user on your PC, logon as that use and try the same thing
there.
2 - Install Mozilla Firefox and see if that works where IE is not.
3 - Perform a repair on Internet Explorer.
     ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378 )

Come back and let us know if any of that helped!

--
<- Shenan ->
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.   Know what you are

  • Re: HD Problem:
    ... from within Internet Explorer, ... Properties window, click Apply. ... use the box of numbers in the Temporary Internet Files ... Spywareblaster it gave me the same message as before. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: TIF directory... 1st files in, 1st files out?
    ... Temporary Internet Files / Cache ... TIF and Cookies are in quite separate physical folders. ... When you empty the Temporary Internet Files folder in Internet ...
  • Re: Active X, SBS 2003 and Outlook 2003
    ... > ActiveX Controls and Plugins and make certain that it is set to ENABLE. ... Open Internet Explorer. ... click on Settings in the Temporary Internet Files ... This will open a new window entitled Downloaded Program Files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IE 6 wont create new index.dat
    ... There are two Temporary Internet Files related to your profile. ... The folder with Content.IE5 is somehow related to offline files. ... and there is already an Internet Explorer window ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)