SP2 and SQL and Active Directory

From: Tim_S (NoSpam)
Date: 09/21/04

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:10:54 -0500

I may have a compounded issue here.

1st issue, I have a Windows XP SP2 unit that appears to not be staying in
Active directory on Windows 2000 server. The log-in always takes very long
(like a new user would be logging in and creating a profile from scratch). I
can remove and reinstall it to Active directory and it will work ok until
reboot. At which time it gets very sluggish on log-in until i remove and
re-add it to AD again. When the unit is very sluggish and I try to shut down
i get a window that prompts "Syncronizing PC" and it stays for a
verrrrrrrrrry long time (30 - 45 min) before going away. What could be
Syncronizing on shutdown? No roming profiles nor logoff scripting.

2nd issue, I have a application that uses SQL (on the same server) using
port 9000. This also failed after installation of SP2.

3rd issue, I have uninstalled SP2 using the add/remove programs applet in
the control panel. The system is still behaving badly as in the 1 and 2
issue above.

Ping stats to the server are good with no loss of packets and very low
latency times.

Anyone experience this yet?

It only happens on this one machine. Others are having no trouble
connecting to the server nor logging in. Ran AdAware PE on this and Norton
Corprate AV both with latest data files.

It feels like the Windows 2000 Server isn't talking correctly to the Windows
XP Workstation if SP2 is installed to perform its normal security checks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 2003 Migration
    ... Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks ... Windows Server 2003 Tools ... ensure that you have designed a DNS and Active ...
  • Re: i got 6 server in company which contains NT4 , windows 2000 , windowser 2003
    ... Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks ... Windows Server 2003 Tools ... ensure that you have designed a DNS and Active ...
  • Re: Urgent Advise - [WildPacket]
    ... Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks ... Windows Server 2003 Tools ... ensure that you have designed a DNS and Active ...
  • Re: NT to W2K3 Migration
    ... How to Upgrade from Windows NT Server 4.0 ... Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks ...
  • Re: Connection to a SAMBA Active Directory
    ... I built a new Windows 2003 Server in a brand new domain. ... I am able to define a 2 way Realm trust using the Active Directory ... There is a bit of confusing on the SAMBA side. ...