RE: suspect blaster worm in laptop

From: biz4two (biz4two_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/17/04

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:03:02 -0700

Very well could be a virus. I would recommend going to McAfee (see URL) and
using the FREE removal tool "Stinger". You can download and run it. This
will scan for every "known" virus based on the date/time you download.

http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp#stinger

If you haven't yet, after all the virus stuff are gone, install SP2. And
make certain to purchase a good anti-virus tool...keeping the .dat files upto
date.

Good luck!

biz
MCSE

"Teofilomendoza" wrote:

> My daughter's laptop running on windows xp professional
> suddenly cannot be started or booted up. There's a message
> that says there's a problem and there is a countdown timer
> showing how many seconds remaining before the computer
> starts again. I cannot even start it in safe mode.
>
> The laptop does not have floppy disk drive. I'm thinking
> of getting the latest version of norton antivirus cd and
> booting up the laptop with the antivirus cd in the cd
> drive. Is norton antivirus able to detect and remove
> blaster worm?
>
> Thanks for any advise you can give on how to remove the
> worm/virus without having to re-format the hard disk.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Teofilo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: norton antivirus vs. system performance manager and security cente
    ... Each time I try to get on Internet Explorer, ... Click OK to download officially approved software ... ... when i downloaded it my Norton AntiVirus has a popup that says that the ... file i just downloaded/am downlading is a virus... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Anti-Anti-Virus Software
    ... been in a car accident. ... Beware anything you load on your laptop though. ... > reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus ... > Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: computer virus usegroups
    ... New Virus Stealing Information from Computer Users ... You can infect ... attempt to download from a Russian website. ... Internet Explorer to protect users of its Internet Explorer browsers ...
    (sci.med.diseases.lyme)
  • Re: hacktool.rootkit
    ... In addition to "what is a rootkit". ... > mode virus scanning, registry entry purging, etc.). ... Norton Antivirus reported the following: ... >> You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: norton antivirus vs. system performance manager and security cente
    ... Checking for/Help with Hijackware ... Click OK to download officially approved software ... ... when i downloaded it my Norton AntiVirus has a popup that says that the ... file i just downloaded/am downlading is a virus... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)