Re: Can I deny access to USB storage but allow USB user interface devi

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] (cnfrisch_at_nospamgmail.com)
Date: 09/16/04

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:16:50 -0500

How do I prevent the use of USB Storage Devices in Windows XP?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7000/rh7093.htm

Also see: "Controlling block storage devices on USB buses"
in the following article.

Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2otech.mspx#ECAA

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
"Michael Plotner" wrote:
| How does a domain administrator deny access to USB storage devices such as
| keychain drives, Compaq flash cards, etc., yet not deny access to other USB
| devices such as mice, keyboards and printers?  I'd like to be able to do this
| on both XP and 2000 workstations.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Disable USB storage
    ... How do I prevent the use of USB Storage Devices in Windows XP? ... | & group policy to do this. ...
  • Re: Mounting USB storage devices in Read only
    ... I need to give USB storage devices ... The driver sets the STORAGE_DEVICE_FLAG_READONLY flag inside the ... support and development for Windows CE ...
  • Re: Can I deny access to USB storage but allow USB user interface devi
    ... | How do I prevent the use of USB Storage Devices in Windows XP? ... | | keychain drives, Compaq flash cards, etc., yet not deny access to other USB ...
  • Re: [opensuse] 11.3 grub and disk ordering/numbering
    ... 1-boot with any USB storage devices attached only if you intend to actually boot from such device on that boot ... OTOH, changing the PATA/SATA mix, or replacing a PATA or SATA HD, after installing to either or both not unusually produces devastation. ... This is what the recent Stan G "Unsuccessful installation of operating system" & ... On most, I find a single HD perfectly adequate for 3, 5 or 10 or more installed operating systems, backing up across the network, or to temporarily attached USB or eSATA storage devices. ...
    (SuSE)
  • FlushFileBuffers in non-privileged user mode
    ... H> Windows 2000 user mode, they have data corruption problem ... feedback showed that consumers were unplugging USB storage devices ...