Re: PestPatrol

From: MAP (MAP_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/14/04

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:33:01 -0700

Most of the malware gets on a system these days via your active X settings
(dispite what others may say) they should be set to "prompt"

Go to control panel and open "internet options.
Click on the security tab then custom level.
make sure these settings are as follows.

Download signed active x controls>set to prompt
Download unsigned active x controls>set to disable
Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable
Run active x controls and pluggins>set to enable
Script active x controls marked safe for scripting>set to enable
Java permissions>set to high safety

Also you might want to install spywareblaster from my original post. It uses
no resources.

"leona510" wrote:

> Sorry Roger but your answer brought more questions. I know the three do
> different things but is what I have not enough? I did have a worm and a
> trojan sneak in not long ago. I may have turned off some protection for a
> couple of minutes for a download, not sure.
>
> I thought I had all the bases covered but I guess not. The only downloads I
> did were the MS updates and the various programs that "Map" mentioned. Oh,
> and then there was Acrobat & Quicktime.) I didn't open any email attachments
> but my machine had become a zombie (verified by ISP) so I deleted the
> partition, reformated and started over clean, including wiping my free space.
>

> Does most of the malware get onto the machine through cookies or what? When
> I tested my security with MS, everything showed up as "safe" but then how
> does this junk get onto the machine? Most all of the sites I view are very
> reputable but then there are still the popups. I don't have all those
> stopped so one questions is, which popup stoppers would you recommend?
>
> I really want to understand more about security. I've purchased "Hacking
> for Dummies" and "Hacking 4th Ed." not because I want to hack but to educate
> myself about what the script kiddies know that I don't. I haven't had time
> to read it yet. In the mean time, what can I do to be as safe as possible
> without spending more money and time on computer maintenence/paranoia?
>
> Lee
>
> "Roger Abell" wrote:
>
> > Those product do different things.
> > Whether you need either or both depends on what you do
> > with your machine more than on what these prodicts do.
> > There are free varieties of all of the functionalities you have
> > just mentioned, anti-virus, firewall, and malware hunters.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> > "leona510" <leonagibson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Do I need PestPatrol if I already have Norton SystemWorks and a firewall?
> > > Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WMF Vulnerability, Info.
    ... Open files based on content, ... clearly identified a wmf file awaiting download, my point is that if you ... My settings are as follows. ... To help stop unauthorized downloads via your active x controls change your ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: WMF Vulnerability, Info.
    ... >> download, my point is that if you change your internet security ... >> My settings are as follows. ... >> To help stop unauthorized downloads via your active x controls change ... I only get prompts when I'm downloading something,regular surfing is no ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: coolwebsearch
    ... SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html ... Download signed active x controls>set to prompt ... Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable ... Launching programs and files in a IFRAME"> Prompt ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Downloaded program files
    ... > Is there a way to get internet explorer to prompt before addiing ... Go to internet options>security>custom level and change your settings to ... To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your ...
  • RE: Trojan or what?
    ... When about blank is removed from your system changing these settings to what ... To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your ... Launching programs and files in a IFRAME"> Prompt ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)