Re: Admin Password Forgotten

From: Doug Knox MS-MVP (dknox_at_mvps.org)
Date: 07/23/04

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:39:49 -0400

I don't vouch for this procedure, but it is widely recommended, but ............

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/editor.html

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"amstar1212" <amstar1212@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A5CAAFD-326C-437F-958C-3FFCA8E10E32@microsoft.com...
>I don't have a LAN connection and I tried the first option. That did not work either. In my case I hadn't been on the computer in quite a while and I think my password got timed out. After so many days you have to switch the password or "else" I guess. I don't know what to do now. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank!    Stephanie
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> There is always the built in Administrator account.  At the Welcome Screen, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice.  You'll get the older style logon dialog.  Enter Administrator and any password that you may have put on this account during setup.  If you're unsure, try leaving the password blank.  Once there, you can change the password on your other account.  Note: This will cause the loss of all "saved" passwords.
>>
>> Alternatively, if you can't log on to the built in Administrator account, you may be able to do the same thing via a LAN connection. From another computer running XP Pro, right click My Computer and select Manage.  Highlight Computer Management (Local) and right click it.  Select Connect to another computer.  Enter the Machine name of the affected computer.  Once the Management console is connected to the other machine open System Tools, Local Users and Groups, and right click the affected user account.  Select Set Password.   The same caution about Saved Passwords applies.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Effaney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22d801c47004$cab20160$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>> >I deserve a good flogging for this. I have four kids and
>> > change my password on my computer often. I changed it
>> > this morning before I went to the store, and in my haste
>> > totally forgot the password. I have not made a password
>> > reset disk (though I will if I get through this one), and
>> > I am the admin on my computer, as well as the only
>> > available open account. I refuse to do the multiple
>> > account thing as it messes with my computer. I run
>> > Windows XP Pro. Is there a way to get on to my computer?
>> > I have access to my husband's computer, what I am on
>> > right now. I have searched the microsoft knowledge banks,
>> > but only get answers for those who know the admin login
>> > password. Int his case, that is what I have forgotten.
>> > Thanks in advance!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem w Explorer.exe
    ... Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
  • Re: Settings? Glitch after SP2?
    ... Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
  • Re: ActiveX Help and Support Center SP2
    ... Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display ... >>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
  • Re: Two questions you all should know :)
    ... Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display ... >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Missing or Corrupt Video file message when using live TV