Re: decryption of user files

From: Fritz (fritz_at_biteme.net)
Date: 05/18/04

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:22:38 -0400

You don't. If the certificate used to encrypt the files was never backed
up, then the files are gone forever.

"SAM" <osa37@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I had user files that were encrypted mistakingly in
> Windows XP OS, now that OS was deleted from the hard disk
> and a new installation was done but I cant get to open
> the encrypted files or decrypt them in the new windows
> installation.
> How do I go about this.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problems with EFS
    ... Peolko wrote: ... > have my documents in other partition and to some of them I used Windows XP:s ... > EFS to encrypt those files. ... > after the new installation of XP. ...
  • FreeBSD 10 installer and ZFS root
    ... The extended partition table contains partitions ada0s1a, ada0s1b, and ada0s1d. ... Question -- can I adjust the size of ada0s1a and ada0s1d during installation? ... E.g. to encrypt swap using a one-time random key at boot, add the following line, or something similar per geli, to /etc/rc.conf: ... There are two ZFS pools, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Encryption on installation
    ... I have been playing around with Ubuntu installation on a machine and the installation of Ubuntu provided an option to encrypt the partition on installation. ... cryptoloop is in Fedora kernels, and is generally enough to protect against people who steal the laptop for the resale value. ... And finally, I would encrypt *really* critical info, like passwords and certain other things using GPG on a file, even if in a crypto filesystem. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Files Encrypted on Win9x/NT/2K Cannot be Decrypted on WinXP
    ... >We've been using the Microsoft Cryptography functions to encrypt and ... >decrypt files. ... >previous versions of Windows: ... change due to installation of IE. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: harddrive encryption
    ... Or do I have to do this after the installation ... What you can do is set apart a partition during installation where you are ... installation, encrypt that partition with geli, newfs it and put the name ... Use a passphrase instead. ...
    (freebsd-questions)