Admin cannot change Local Security Policies

From: Kda1 (
Date: 05/04/04

    Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:26:04 -0700

    I have an XP Professional machine and almost all Security Settings have the
    options greyed out when logged in as administrator. There is even a little lock icon
    on the folders which I suspect is telling me that I cannot change what is inside.
    In "User Rights Assignments", (also locked), Administrators are said to have the rights to change all these settings.

    Has anyone come across this before? Am I overlooking a switch somewhere?
    Several usually knowledgable local are mystifyed. I have searched all my menus and help files to no
    avail. Feel free to email me at

    Thanks, Kevin

    • Re: Windows Task Scheduler looses account credentials data
      ... On the domain Controller Security Policy: ... User Rights Assignments ... Confirm that the administrator is not a part of the rights: ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
    • Re: Server cannot access application directory D:xxx. The directory does not exist or is not accessi
      ... different logon session will see it. ... The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings." ... Security settings for directory D:\xxx are the following: Administrator: Full Control ... I have looked up the members of the "Administrators" group: The only member is the "Administrator" User who already had all rights on the directory. ...
    • Re: Apply security settings or take ownership: access denied.
      ... I would also double check that you are logged-in as administrator. ... When I try to reapply the security settings of higher-level ... How can I take the ownership of these ...
    • ActiveX controls are prohibited
      ... My security settings in IE are the default, ... double checked that the Administrator account is part of the Administrators ... Group, which according to the description, still has complete control over ... in the error page) and did what it said, which is to delete the 2 ActiveX ...
    • Re: Network security: Lan Manager authentication level
      ... MS-KBQ823659_Client, service, and program incompatibilities that may occur when you modify security settings and user rights assignments ... domain functional levels are set at 2003. ... All clients are running ...