Can't login - Deleted winlogon references in registry

From: Joel (ms_at_les.com.au)
Date: 04/20/04

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:53:27 -0700

HELP, PLEASE!!!
Hi,
I mistakenly thought ALL winlogon references were related
to security threats, and then deleted them from my
registry.

When I now restart my (XP Professional running a Toshiba
Portege 3500) machine I am presented with a "Log On to
Windows" dialog box, and can enter either the
Administrator or my one userid.

BUT
It logs on, does not show any start bar, and logs straight
off, (with a message saying it is "saving my settings")
and then returns to the login screen.

How do I log back into the system and restore my
registry??????????

I have tried safe mode, safe mode with command prompt etc,
yet keep being presented with the login dialog box and
results as per above.

Many thanks for help,
Joel

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 890830 MSRT keeps wanting to download
    ... If you already saved the update on the disk, run the computer in safe mode ... restart your computer, open the Windows Update site and run an update check. ... I have just had a prompt to download updates and guess what it ... The registry key, where versions of MSRT are stored, is probably ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: VBS.GAGGLE.D
    ... To restart the computer in Safe mode or end the malicious process ... instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode." ... Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)
  • Re: BACKDOOR.SDBOOT - Virus
    ... >the registry?!? ... Dan ... Restart the machine in safe mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: explorer system32 folder at startup
    ... Presuming that you logged in as the Administrator in Safe Mode. ... If you're using the Starter program I mentioned, ... Registry => Current User and uncheck everything in there. ... Restart ...
  • Re: Nearly 100% CPU Usage
    ... Paul Calcagno wrote: ... for the download) will this registry problem go away that might have been ... is that I ran the OneCare Live scanner in safe mode. ... Add-ons because trying to enable them one at a time when IE is open ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)