Re: HOW TO: Share Access to an Encrypted File in Windows XP

From: Darren Hook [MSFT] (dhook_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/06/04

Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:15:36 -0500

Files are encrypted through the use of algorithms which essentially
re-arrange, scramble and encode the data. A key pair is randomly generated
when you encrypt your first file. This key pair is comprised of a private
and a public key. The key pair is used to encode and decode the encrypted
files. If the key pair is lost or damaged and you have not designated a
recovery agent then there is no way to recover the data. There is no
workaround to this.

223316.KB.EN-US Best Practices for the Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

--
Darren Hook
dhook@online.microsoft.com
"pammi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Win-Xp hard-disk crashed, and now I can't boot from
> this hard-disk. But the disk is readable when I add it in
> as a secondary disk on another PC.
> My problem now is that I am being denied access to some
> encrypted folders in the original disk. I tried adding
> user, tried giving permission from the
> properties->security option, but noting works.
>
> Is there a way to recover these files?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: If the data was password-protected, how did NAO get the password?
    ... In this case each party has a kind of double key, or key pair. ... He puts kpub on his ... If I want to send a message to MM, I encrypt ... decrypt the message is MM's private key kprivMM, ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Re: If the data was password-protected, how did NAO get the password?
    ... In this case each party has a kind of double key, or key pair. ... He puts kpub on his ... If I want to send a message to MM, I encrypt ... decrypt the message is MM's private key kprivMM, ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Generating key pair using PIN plus key
    ... user provides a 4 digit PIN ... System uses a function F to generate a key pair using it's own key ... System uses the public part of the key pair to encrypt the data ... h) System uses the private part of the key pair to decrypt the data ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Passing a Public Key
    ... I would generate a new key pair on the client and pass the modulus to the ... It would then generate the key pair on the server. ... data that I want to encrypt. ... >> But which property is the public key that I need to pass around? ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: An Honest and Simple Question.
    ... encrypt anything that the user wishes to encrypt. ... cipher takes a fixed quantity of bits in input and returns a the same ... printable characters. ... which is a method to encode readable plaintext into ...
    (sci.crypt)