RE: yahoo - IE shutdown virus?

From: pauly [MSFT] (pauly_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:54:58 GMT

Hi Larry,

This is not necessarily a virus, but it never hurts to scan for viruses. A
morel likely cause and troubleshooting steps are detailed in the following
KB Article:

831432 "Iexplore.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831432

ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS:

If this started happening recently in Windows XP, try rolling your system
back to a state prior to when the symptom happened using Windows XP System
Restore:

306084 HOW TO: Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306084

283252 Non-Administrator User Is Unable to Start System Restore Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283252

If this is not possible or does not work, the problem could be due to 3rd
party Browser Helper Objects (BHOs) in Internet Explorer. You should check
for these and see about removing any found:

298931 How to Disable Third-Party Tool Bands and Browser Helper Objects
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298931

276393 Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in IE
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=276393

831432 "Iexplore.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831432

Finally, if none of the above resolves the issue, you may need to repair IE
by downloading and reinstalling the service pack for Internet Explorer:

SP1 for Internet Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE