RE: yahoo - IE shutdown virus?

From: pauly [MSFT] (pauly_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:54:58 GMT

Hi Larry,

This is not necessarily a virus, but it never hurts to scan for viruses. A
morel likely cause and troubleshooting steps are detailed in the following
KB Article:

831432 "Iexplore.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831432

ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS:

If this started happening recently in Windows XP, try rolling your system
back to a state prior to when the symptom happened using Windows XP System
Restore:

306084 HOW TO: Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306084

283252 Non-Administrator User Is Unable to Start System Restore Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283252

If this is not possible or does not work, the problem could be due to 3rd
party Browser Helper Objects (BHOs) in Internet Explorer. You should check
for these and see about removing any found:

298931 How to Disable Third-Party Tool Bands and Browser Helper Objects
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298931

276393 Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in IE
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=276393

831432 "Iexplore.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831432

Finally, if none of the above resolves the issue, you may need to repair IE
by downloading and reinstalling the service pack for Internet Explorer:

SP1 for Internet Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation
pauly@online.microsoft.com

--------------------
| From: "larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: yahoo - IE shutdown virus?
| Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 06:26:25 -0800
|
| When I try to access my yahoo account from my home laptop,
| a message appears that Internet explorer has experienced
| problems and must shut dow. It asks if I want to send an
| error report or not. Is this a virus?
|
| Thanks,
|
| larry

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: New computer virus warning...
    ... Microsoft has announced a new virus is making the rounds. ... Microsoft said a patch for the virus won't be ready until March 9th, at the earliest, so they're putting out this warning to tell everyone that if you are prompted to press F1, ignore it, no matter how many times it continues to pop up and remind you. ... is exposed on supported versions of Microsoft Windows 2000, ... and Windows Server 2003 through the use of Internet Explorer. ...
    (rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs)
  • RE: Message Body in OE appears blank in all emails
    ... Do you have the lattest virus deninitions for the week of Anti-Virus ... Here's the how you reinstall/repair Internet Explorer: ... For Windows XP Systems: ...
  • Re: Third Party Browser Ext in I.E.
    ... 279783 - How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP: ... When i use Internet Explorer Latest Version 6, ... I cannot get Google, Ebay, Skype toolbars e.t.c in Internet Explorer. ... It may have been a software glitch from them, it could be a virus. ...
  • RE: Problem with internet explorer on WindowXP
    ... If your virus software is up to date and not detecting anything ... >Subject: RE: Problem with internet explorer on WindowXP ... Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300 ... >>Windows XP System Restore feature to go back to the prior ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Third Party Browser Ext in I.E.
    ... Hello All, Internet Explorer problem. ... for it from Windows CD 2. ... Windows, instals with windows. ... It may have been a software glitch from them, it could be a virus. ...