Re: Messenger service pop-ups

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 02/13/04

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:36:47 -0500

You need a firewall. 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful, but is
symptomatic of a larger problem - your computer has ports open from the
Internet.

You can disable the Messenger service, but that is unwise as a solution as
you'll still have the underlying problem that caused you to get the messages
in the first place - consider the messages a useful warning that you have no
protection from the Internet. This is all too important now, given the
recent rash of RPC worms....

For a standalone machine, see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall,
or if using Windows XP, you can enable the built-in internet connection
firewall (ICF).

See http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm for more info. Also,
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/nopopups.htm is a good resource - although
for browser popups, you might want to consider http://toolbar.google.com -
it works like a champ and is also handy for searching.

Debs wrote:
> Can anyone help me
>
> In the last few days I have been receiving increasing
> amount of spam pop-ups in the form of grey boxes with an
> OK button at the bottom. At the top of the page is
> Messenger Service.
>
> These are not sites I have visited - can anyone help me
>
> Regards

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Stop-Sign Threat Scanner
    ... Does the window title say anything about Messenger? ... 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful, but is symptomatic of ... For a standalone machine, see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Messenger Service
    ... My friend, if you're getting popup messenger spam, you have larger problems. ... You need a firewall. ... protection from the Internet. ...
  • Re: www.winupdate.net
    ... Hi - you need a firewall. ... You can disable the Messenger service, but that is unwise as a solution as ... you can enable the built-in internet connection ... > I receive this in pop ups by messenger service? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Disabling Windows Messenger???
    ... You can disable the Messenger service, but that is unwise as a solution as ... For a standalone machine, see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall, ... you can enable the built-in internet connection ... How do I disable Windows Messenger so that I stop getting all ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Messenger Ads
    ... This is 'messenger spam', and is not in itself harmful, ... You can disable the Messenger service, ... XP firewall, or see www.sygate.com ... > do not appear in a browser window. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)